• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which lift kit?

It depends on how much you want to spend. RE is known for being the best quality youcan get and performs excelent. there are cheaper ones out there but in the long run you'll end up changing it out.

I have experiance with rusty's-off road 3" lift and so far I would have to say that I have no complaint with the lift. All his lifts are trail tested and can take a good beating as far as I have seen anyway. I talked to rusty the other day as a matter of fact, and he put the 3" complete package on one of his Xj's for the jeep jamboree. Complete package includes the 3" lift and 15" Rockcrawler rims and 31"x10.50's pro comp At's for $845 (Add-a-leaf).

mudder said:
I have experiance with rusty's-off road 3" lift and so far I would have to say that I have no complaint with the lift. All his lifts are trail tested and can take a good beating as far as I have seen anyway. I talked to rusty the other day as a matter of fact, and he put the 3" complete package on one of his Xj's for the jeep jamboree. Complete package includes the 3" lift and 15" Rockcrawler rims and 31"x10.50's pro comp At's for $845 (Add-a-leaf).

I'll second that. Alot of people give Rusty's stuff the thumbs down, but I have his 3" AAL and I have no complaints whatsoever. If you just do the occasional wheelin like I do (once or twice a month) then you can't go wrong w/ Rusty's for the price. I might would go w/ RE if I had the extra cash, but my XJ list-o-things-to-buy is too long for that.

Last edited:
i use the rusty's 3" lift, add a leaf, i wouldn't bother with the rim package though, the lift all together was 279 dollars delivered, and took 2 days to install, and it performs really well, i fit 32X10.5X15 super swamper tsl's on them i took a cut off wheel on my fenders, and it didn't look too bad, although since then i have bounced it off many trees rocks, and a couple of my other jeeps, so it looks a bit worse now, i do need some off set rims though as i hit frame when i turn hard. i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with handling either, didn't throw anything off at all, when i put the 32's on there it made a difference though, if your rear leafs are in bad shape, for 100 more you can get the complete spring kit, which i would recommend if you put a lot of weight in the back

alwayzAMC said:
i do need some off set rims though as i hit frame when i turn hard.
You hit frame? I wish my XJ had a frame. :wave:
Just kidding man, what do you really mean though? the LCAs?

I wish I could second the opinions about Rusty's kits, unfortunatelly I can't. Too many problems, especially with the rear leaves, shocks and track bar mount. I ended up removing the lower leaf from his packs (which were too short for the application and provided too hard a ride), ordering a heavy duty track bar end and corresponding mount (to cure death wobble caused by a dead-on-arrival TRE), and Bilstein shocks (to replace his oil shocks which went bad within 6 months).

Overall, I could have gotten the RE 5.5" kit and save myself the frustration of taking off things I had installed a few months ago. If you do the work yourself, then it might be OK, but if you pay to have things installed, and then pay again to have things replaced, it quickly adds up.

My 2 Eurocents only.

The RE 3.5" or 4.5" Superflex kits would probably work well. However, budget extra time when dealing with RE. Most of the people I personally know who have ordered from them have gotten the wrong parts, had missing parts, etc. in their kits. I know lots of people here sing RE praises and apparently many people never have any trouble. However, three of four people I know who have RE lifts had problems with their orders. So you will probably need to allow for extra time to contact them and have them correct the order.

-Brian

gobler said:
need advice on lift kit for 91 4.0 5spd for 3" lift and 31, 10x50 tires for good ride and off road performance

Back