• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renalt 2.1L Turbo Diesel??

Everything I have "heard" is that it is not a very good diesel. This is the one that was in the xj right?

Under-powered (even for a diesel), very rare in the United States, and parts (if available) are extremely expensive. Unless you want it for a lawn decoration, it's probably wise to avoid this turkey.

It would make a cool conversation piece though.

How about firing it with Bio-diesel(soybean based)

Or converting it to run on WVO, or SVO (Waste Vegtable Oil)(Straight Vegtable Oil)

Have the first french fry grease powered rock climber!!!

I had one new, peppy under load, got 30 MPG but sucked a quart of oil every 1,000 miles I have the service manuals for the engine if you need them

RD

Any idea where new glow plugs might be had? I've seen a couple questions about those in the last few months, but nobody seems to have a clue. :dunno: I don't have one myself, I'm just hoping to have an answer next time it's asked. They always sound so desparate.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Eagle said:
Under-powered (even for a diesel), very rare in the United States, and parts (if available) are extremely expensive. Unless you want it for a lawn decoration, it's probably wise to avoid this turkey.
i've owned a diesel for the past 15 years and it hasn't been sitting on my lawn either, i don't think it's a turkey at all, yes it doesn't have the power of the 4.0 but it's a very dependable economical engine, it does great off road as well.parts are expensive if obtained through chrysler jeep. the same as with all other jeep engine parts. other sources direct from renault exsist. most other non engine specific parts are identical with the gas cherokees.
if jeep still sold one i'd buy one tomorrow!

convert the diesel into a propane burning engine.. its cheap, economical, the power is superb, and very good trottle response...

Pete M said:
Any idea where new glow plugs might be had? I've seen a couple questions about those in the last few months, but nobody seems to have a clue. :dunno: I don't have one myself, I'm just hoping to have an answer next time it's asked. They always sound so desparate.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Given the family history of the engine, which I think was a joint Renault/volvo/VW venture, I'd be willing to bet that the glow plugs are shared with other engines, perhaps the Volvo straight 6 or the VW quantum. They're likely to be a standard Bosch or Beru item anyway. My son works for a foreign-car parts outfit. I'll email him and ask him to ask them when he has a chance.

i'm looking into different sources for the glowplugs, they are obtainable through jeep for $38.25 but i know you can get the identical ones way cheaper, they are beru 0 100 221 135 equivalent plugs are made by bosch and others. i'll post an update as soon as i have the info.
ps the jeep p/n= J0741144

In Bolivia, there are so many diesel XJ's even I was amazed. :yelclap: They may be Brazillian made though. I would think the diesels are the same. Anyway, Bolivia is so far away the price of shipping may be impractical not to mention the fact they may be written all in spanish.

Back