• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting a stick welder, which one??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Budget is $300(I can probably swing a student discount at the local airgas since my welding prof knows the guy, so we can probably break over 300 a little). 220v is a given, AC/DC preferred. I like miller, but we all know it's pretty much just a color preference. So what model do you guys recommend. I know this belongs in "other tech" but I don't want it there, so :laugh3:

Ary

The lincoln "tombstone boxes" have been around for a long time and they are tried and true. We have several of them in our shop and they are like the energizer bunny, keep running and running.

I've just about built my whole Jeep with a Lincoln 220v buzz box. I got mine used for $100 and it has to be the best $100 I've spent, ever. The 220v cast iron, oil sump, air compressor I also got for $100 has to be a close second. :D

My dad's had a Lincoln 220 stick welder for about 30 years now, no problems.

Lincoln is good...but be sure to compare features and warranty on a Miller.
AirGas sometimes has reconditioned equipment for a good price too.

I love the Lincoln too. I just got one off e-bay for $86. It took a couple of weeks but I'm sure you can get a great welder and save some scratch. Patience is the key. :)

Ary,
I have done all of my welding with a Lincoln AC/DC 220. I love it. I can't forsee anything you would need anything different for. The expensive part is going to be the mask, if you go autodark.

Scott

Ok, I said AC/DC preferred, 'cause that's what I've always heard is better. Now, someone explain to me why the DC option is worth the $200 difference over the AC only machine. Thanks

Ary

The better types of rod (7018 and such) require dc. You can get ok rod to run ac, but the dc rods burn much easier. A welder is one of the things that if done right the first time you won't have to buy another. I know quite a few old timers that have been using the same stick welder for 30 years. My .02 would be to get the ac/dc, even if you have to wait for awhile for the extra cash.

One of the drawbacks to AC (alternating current) is that the constant switching of polarity can make for tiny inconsistencies in the weld bead. DC (Direct Current) provides for a much smoother weld, a more stable arc and there is a wider selection of rods.

Ary,
Check out this site.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/consumableseries.asp?browse=104|2030|
I run 7018 all day long for carbon steel pipe. Personally I cant tell to much of a difference in running it on ac or dc, except for a little more spatter. 6010 and 7018 are the two most commonly used rods in the pipe fitting industry. I have been saying for a while now that stick welding is a dying trade. All the pipe we put together lately has been heli-arced (tig). Anything from carbon steel to titanium, the only stick welding that is done anymore is low pressure boilers and chiller systems and pipelines. But enough of that, I would go with the lincoln tombstone welder and try to pick it up used, just make sure you run a few rods in the different heat settings. Also if anyone is to go out and buy some 7018, get the newer excalibur series, same price if not cheaper than the std. 7018, but runs 100x better.
Good Luck

There is anothe thing about making sure you get a DC welder is the ability to add a tig set up to it. it woun't be as nice as a full tig setup with tirgger but it works well and allows you to do thing you that would have you say not so nice words with a stick. its a little difficul to get an arc started sratch style but once ou get used to it is fine.

Ok, I went and priced out a couple of machines and I can get the Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/225 AC/DC from my airgas man for ~380. It's a little over budget, but it seems all the welders in this category are running 350+ and this machine retails for $500. Is this a steal? One thing I like about it is the infinite adjustability rather than the "click" knob on the Lincoln. Here's a link to the Miller machine:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/thunderbolt_xl_ac_dc_225_and_300/

Also, this is the machine we used in my welding class, so I'm semi-familiar with it. My biggest question is should I have any problems running this off my dryer's circuit?? I used to run the Miller Regency 200 Mig machine off the dryer plug, but I just wanna make sure. Thanks for any input.

Ary

well... what does your dryer receptacle look like and what does the welder plug lug like? Worst case scenario you'd have to replace the plug :D

Another thing to chekc is what's the amperage for the dryer circuit and what's the current draw of the welder...... the first has to be bigger or same then the second.

The spec sheet from the link you posted shows it uses 70 amps input @ 220 volts. The welder will come with a sheet that has a sliding scale that shows the amperage it draws at specific settings on the welder. The 70 amp input is probably wide open or close to it. Your Dryer outlet is prob. around 40 amps. It will prob. work fine unless you plan on dry docking a ship in your driveway for repairs. Just look in the manual and see how many amps output draws 40 amps input and that will tell you your upper limit. You will probably never need to go higher than 130 amps to weld anything on your Jeep. You can probably do anything you need to do under 100 amps.

Damn that was a lot of probablys !!!

Back