• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Experts...HELP!

KLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My Chrysler 8.25 is starting to whine when coasting. US Gear ring and pinion 4.56 was installed about 6 months ago and carefully broken in after 3k miles its starting to whine. Haven't had a chance to jack it up and opening the cover yet. Trying to get a low down of what could have gone wrong?

When they say 8.25 is noisy is this what you guys are talking about?

Thanks

KLXJ said:

Thanks

YES! I HATE my 8.25 :mad: See post about "pulled the cover and nothing fell out...." for my problems with the 8.25.

KLXJ said:
My Chrysler 8.25 is starting to whine when coasting. US Gear ring and pinion 4.56 was installed about 6 months ago and carefully broken in after 3k miles its starting to whine. Haven't had a chance to jack it up and opening the cover yet. Trying to get a low down of what could have gone wrong?

Thanks
Typically if the gear set up was done incorrectly or the gears were cut wrong then the gears would have been noisy from the get go. Pinion preload and seating of the bearings is very important, as well as setting backlash a little tight because it will loosen up. I like to set backlash between .004-.006, factory spec is .005-.008 after some mileage this becomes more like .012-.016, this can cause your condition. But it's hard to see your gear pattern from here. You need to have pinion turning torque, backlash and gear pattern checked for accuracy. Chris

"Typically if the gear set up was done incorrectly or the gears were cut wrong then the gears would have been noisy from the get go."

That is what I thought as well that gears were wrongly set up would start howling on the get go as well. Its just a high pitched whine which isn't very loud but noticeable. I will get the shop who did it to check the backlash, when I called them they mentioned that its possibly the backlash as well.

Thanks

Just a thought you might take a extra look at your ujoint/CV angle condition on the rear drive shaft.
About a year ago we setup a 8.25 with a Powertrax and a set of Superior gears 4.56's. After running the gears for about a month the noises started, to make a long story short. it all went away with the proper drive shaft CV and Lenth. Weird but worth looking at.
Cruzzin_XJ

Cruzzin_XJ said:
Just a thought you might take a extra look at your ujoint/CV angle condition on the rear drive shaft.
About a year ago we setup a 8.25 with a Powertrax and a set of Superior gears 4.56's. After running the gears for about a month the noises started, to make a long story short. it all went away with the proper drive shaft CV and Lenth. Weird but worth looking at.
Cruzzin_XJ

What kinda noises were you getting Cruzzin_XJ. Mines only audible at 30mph and above when I coast and its a high pitched whine. I still run the stock drive shaft with a transfer case drop at 5" lift no shimming, I get some slight vibes at 10-20mph but other than that its ok.

Will try and have a look at the drives shaft, how would I actually determine if the driveshaft it too short?

Back