• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled the cover and nothing fell out....diagnose this pattern...(BIG PICS)

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
So I pulled the cover on the 8.25 and no teeth of any kind fell out. Spiders and R&P look fine to the naked untrained eye(i.e. no chunks missing or anything). We left the jeep on the ground and after pulling the e-brake put the T-case in neutral. After that we played with the yoke spinning it back and forth. If I hold the ring gear still the backlash is acceptable(so says my friend who has done several R&P installs largely by feel and then checking his "feelings" with a dial indicator). However if I let go of the ring gear and play with the yoke, there is 3-4 times as much play in the yoke, and the ring gear/carrier are rotating back and forth in the housing. Now if the axles were off the ground and moving when this was happening it wouldn't make me wonder. But should there be this much play?? I would think the axle shafts being tied to the the ground through the tires would lock the spiders and prevent the carrier from rotating. Here are some pics of the pattern. We obtained the pattern by painting the gears and driving the Jeep back and forth. If this is not an acceptable method let me know. Thanks

ary_diff%20010.jpg

ary_diff%20011.jpg

Also, why the HE!! is my ARB RUSTING!?!?! There was no water visible at all in the fluid we drained, and it has not been wheeled in water at all.

ary_diff%20009.jpg

Thanks again
Ary

pattern is fine (at least when I squint)

it would be good to get a hold of your buddy's dial indicator and mag abse, so you can check for backlash and carrier bearing preload.

From my understanding and doing 2 of my own gear setups, your pattern looks ok. Did it make any gear whine or noise before the bang? What brand of gears are thoes?

Since there is rust on the ARB, you dont supose that the slide coller that locks the spiders together got stuck by rust and when you went peeling out in a parking lot :rolleyes: :D, it freed its self and made a bang? Did you close off the air line bulkhead fitting on the top of the diff? Maybe water could have gotten in through there.

Good luck,

AARON

Edit: Ary, you have some BIG pics :eek:

B, I will check the backlash/carrier pre-load when I go home for break, thanks for talkin to me last night while I had the diff apart. Didn't get the pics up last night 'cause right after we buttoned up the diff it started snowing it's ass off outside and we went skiing in our size 13 redwings behind my friend's Taurus(who knew a tow-strap could make such an awesome ski-rope?) :D :D

Aaron, the ARB has never been engaged, so the slide collar shouldn't have just slid over. The blue line has been run and is capped at the end near the master cylinder. Also, the gears have always been noisy, but they've gotten progressively worse as time goes on. I've also developed clunk when switching from turning left to turning right and so on. Also the gear whine is much more noticeable on coast and/or when turning right, however it is always present.

I'm not positive on the brand of gears, I bought them second hand from Dave Nay, I believe they were either superior or precision, but I don't honestly recall. Thanks

Ary

Oh yeah, and damn those pics are big! My browser is setup to automatically fit them to the window when I open them by themselves, so I never realized just how big they were till I posted 'em.

The pinion isnt deep enough,whether thats enough to be a problem??The ARB case is closed so you wouldnt see any parts from it unless it grenaded!

My experience has shown that any time you setup used gears, they tend to make more noise. I tend to run them a hundred miles or so then check the pattern again. Many times I end up changing the setup a bit after they tend to wear in. The most noticeable thing is the back lash. It tends to open up quite a bit more during breakin of used gears than new gears from my experience.

RCP Phx said:
The pinion isnt deep enough,whether thats enough to be a problem??The ARB case is closed so you wouldnt see any parts from it unless it grenaded!

The 8.25 uses C-clips, it therefore has a decent-sized window so you can insert the c-clips and see what's going on inside.

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
The 8.25 uses C-clips, it therefore has a decent-sized window so you can insert the c-clips and see what's going on inside.

Ary

Maybe whatever tweaked those gears is excactly what tweaked those dutchmans sitting in my shop....like the gears, they *look* fine but I need to remove a few thou from the splines...

TOZOVR said:
Maybe whatever tweaked those gears is excactly what tweaked those dutchmans sitting in my shop....like the gears, they *look* fine but I need to remove a few thou from the splines...

RJ, the pressure angle on those splines was wrong, which is what I think was the problem, but yeah, I think Dave's axle was fawked any way you look at it.

Ary'01XJ said:
RJ, the pressure angle on those splines was wrong, which is what I think was the problem, but yeah, I think Dave's axle was fawked any way you look at it.

Well thing is, those splines fit SOMETHING at one time or another....and they're not twisted. I wouldn't think Dutchman has special Spiders/lockers they sell just with the axles....

TOZOVR said:
Well thing is, those splines fit SOMETHING at one time or another....and they're not twisted. I wouldn't think Dutchman has special Spiders/lockers they sell just with the axles....

Nay told me they used a BFH to get them into his Auburn....

Its definately not perfect.A pattern that shifts from the "heel" on drive to the "toe" on coast indicates a shallow pinion.
patterns

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Its definately not perfect.A pattern that shifts from the "heel" on drive to the "toe" on coast indicates a shallow pinion.
patterns

He is running a used gear set, so "the drive side is not as important as the coast side" which looks fine (Randys R&P Yukon instructions pg:7). "Some gearsets can not have a perfect pattern on the drive and coast side. Its just the way they where made as well as the axle housing was machined"(Randys R&P Yukon instructions pg:7). Also note the acceptable patterns pg 14 of Randys R&P Yukon instructions, Arys looks simmilar to one of thoes.

Yukon gear instructions available at http://www.randysringandpinion.com/tech/techind.html

Dude, is it just me or did I just write a post with quotes and citations in MLA format?:D Must be exam time for me :paperwork

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Dude, is it just me or did I just write a post with quotes and citations in MLA format?:D Must be exam time for me :paperwork

AARON

Roger that! me too. I love engineering, I didn't write ONE SINGLE PAPER ALL SEMESTER!! :D

Ary'01XJ said:
Roger that! me too. I love engineering, I didn't write ONE SINGLE PAPER ALL SEMESTER!! :D

Lucky basterd!:D I have written more in this one semester than I though possable :paperwork

Have you ever tried to engauge the ARB with a home air compressor and a air gun with a rubber tip? Just regulate the pressure down to 100psi and hold the tip to the end of the ARB hose and shoot. Then have somebody rotate one tire to see if it engauged (might help if up on jackstands), then release the air and see if goes back to open. Maybe something internal that you cant see through the spider gear window blew up and made the clank.

AARON

AARON[/QUOTE]

Footnotes, man, where are your footnotes? :laugh3:

poomba said:
Footnotes, man, where are your footnotes? :laugh3:

O sh*t, guess I failed English :dunce:

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Lucky basterd!:D I have written more in this one semester than I though possable :paperwork

Have you ever tried to engauge the ARB with a home air compressor and a air gun with a rubber tip? Just regulate the pressure down to 100psi and hold the tip to the end of the ARB hose and shoot. Then have somebody rotate one tire to see if it engauged (might help if up on jackstands), then release the air and see if goes back to open. Maybe something internal that you cant see through the spider gear window blew up and made the clank.

AARON

No, but my ARB wiring harness for my ARB compressor should be here within a day or two, and when it gets here, I'm gonna lock it up and see if anything changes.

Back