• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switch belts to bypass A/C ?

MassbayXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was never a big fan of A/C and unfortunately my 94 XJ sport has it and it does not work. It probably has a leak and the condenser has seen better days. There is no way im going to fix something only so I could list A/C as an option in a " for sale " ad, relax, Its not going anywhere. Besides , dropping all that A/c crap would lighten up the front end. All I want to know is if there is a serp belt I can get from a dealer (PN) that bypasses the Ac pulley?? I'm ok with changing idlers if I have to. I've seen new TJ's without A/c but no XJ's without. Thanks.

MY 94 engine that I just put in the 84 has the AC bracket but no compressor. So I went to the parts store and got what they have listed for a non ac belt. Which is shorter obvously. But then again its the 2.5L that I have. If there is not a part number for the XJ check the 94 YJ and see if it list the serp. belt without AC. If it is shorter than you current one then all you have to do is figure out how to run it.

On the 4.0, the non-AC version has a big bracket with an extra idler wheel, and the belt is routed the same. I believe the belt is the same too, though I seem to recall that the non-AC 87 had a slightly smaller looking pulley, so it might be a slightly shorter belt. Anyway, the difference is minor. When the radiator went on my 95 I deep-sixed the condenser and some hoses, but left the compressor. Just think of it as a fancy idler, or refit it with some plumbing and a manual clutch switch and use it as an air compressor.

I'll just throw some Chevy and Ford parts at it until it works. j/k . thanks guys.

Back