• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Grille For ya Beez

ya know, its really lame when someone links an ebay auction to the forum....

Come awn Ted! I'm trying to win this grill!!!!!!!

I don't need all these people stormin my auction!

do you think Bones will snipe me?

Can anyone explain to me just how you gold plate plastic stock? Gold plating is an electrostatic deposit process -- if you can't run a current through the base material, you can't "plate" it.

Color me skeptical.

"plating" not in the true sense, but folks in the industry that do it for a living still call it "plating".....probably to dumb it down for all the less experienced purchasing agents.

you are just DYING to call spobi on this one, aren't you?

Beezil said:
you are just DYING to call spobi on this one, aren't you?

You bet. Is it (can it be) really 24k gold? I remember a number of years ago the auto industry lost a complaint before the FTC because that shiny silver-colored stuff they put on plastic parts and called "chrome" wasn't, in fact, chromium plating -- because there was no way to deposit metal onto plastic parts. So they had to settle for being sort of honest, and call it "chrome-like." So is this grille really gold-plated, or is it really "gold-like"?

And you're just dying to put it on that thing you call a Jeep, aren't you?

ChEwBaCcA said:
it says 24K gold plate!

Chewy

I know what it says. A former employer (who was subsequently indicted by the Feds for fraud) used to say "Everything you read is true, unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts." (Apparently that also applied to his invoices.)

The manufacturers used to say that their plastic trim was "crome" plated -- but it wasn't. Hence my question: Is this really gold-plated, or is it "gold-like"?

Eagle, you CAN do 24k plating on "platable plastic", such as ABS or PC plastics.......

are you thinking of powdercoating or something?

I'm not saying that the ebay grill is IN FACT plated, but it CAN be done,

Epner factoid:

"Some of the earliest patents for plating on plastics were owned by Epner Technology. They were for gold plating plastic military buttons and insignia thus saving tons of precious brass during World War II."

Beezil said:
Epner factoid:

"Some of the earliest patents for plating on plastics were owned by Epner Technology. They were for gold plating plastic military buttons and insignia thus saving tons of precious brass during World War II."

Very cool. Thanks for increasing my store of useless knowledge.

Eagle
--------------------
Dispenser of General Confusion

Um, hunter IS the high bidder right now...guess beez is getting beat out...

mac 'gold plated to this hillbilly involves gold spray paint' gyvr

Back