• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to look for in used XJ

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
Hows it goin guys, I'm new to the forum and I've got afew questions about getting a used Cherokee. I'm looking for one with a 4.0, ax-15, NV231 and not more than 110,000 miles on it. I checked out the Kelly Blue Book value for a 97 XJ 4.0,4x4, 4 door, 100,000 miles for $4090 private party value. But when I looked on ebay most costed much more than that and were very far away from SoCal. Does any one know of a good classified ad paper or website or maybe even a dealership in SoCal or the South west ? Can I find what I want for around $5000?Thanks for any advice.

The stick part will make it harder for you to find one, but they do exist (I drive one :D). Pricewise.... well, it all depends on what all extra the rig has. For more help on finding one locally, you might want to ask on the SoCal forum :).

Kejtar

Thanks for the feedback. I'm undecided about an automatic, it has always been my understanding that all automatics start to slip over time. Is this a false belief? How long do auto trannys last in a cherokee? Can I get 200K miles out of one?

my 90 auto has no slip at all. I think it all depends on the owner and how well they take care of it. Many generic owners don't know to change the tranny filter/fluid after so long and it destroys it. ON THE OTHER HAND, DCX does have a few bad apple trannies. If you worried about slippage in the tranny, test drive it. If you can't test drive it, either pay a reputable inspection agency to test it for you or buy at your own risk. But the bad apples are rare.
263k on my tranny.

Back