• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone heard of a stock winch?

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
like i said above...has anyone ever heard of a stock winch comin on an XJ? I have an 88 Limited that was supposedly an ex-FBI jeep. It has the stock bumper but moved about 6" out and a winch actually in the bumper.... is mine somekind of mutant? and anyone know the wiring on this thing? thanks in advance! :wierd:

i've seen pictures and i'm pretty sure it was available as an option at some level.. i have seen some national park ranger vehicles with that set-up.. a previously "federaly owned" vehicle was most likely appropriated through GSA which supplies vehicles as leases to the federal government.. when i was in the Coast Guard all our vehicles had big ramsey winches on them... you're looking for wiring info.. i assume that means it is inopperable.. if it was a GSA installed item i doudt your going to find any "standardized" wiring schematic.. i bet you even have dash mounted controls (or at least the wires inside the dash if it has been removed) best bet is just get a flashlight and follow each wire and map it out.. GSA may have cut the wire harness somewhere to disable the winch when they released it through public auction (they do stuff like that for silly liability reasons) i bet it's got some nice H/D components on it being a FED vehicle...
mike

In my 88 XJ owner's manual they show the wench bumper as an "accessory". It was avaiable but when it was discontinued I am not sure. It not a "Federal thing" it was a AMC/Jeep thing.

If the wench is bad then you need to contact the manufacturer and find out who repairs that model in your area.

They were available through the dealer as a "dealer installed option." Every one I've seen looks like a rebadged Ramsey.

Per the OEMR Parts Catalogues (I have most of them) there was a "hidden winch" option available that probably wound up on "public service" variants of the XJ and MJ. I don't have the books handy, but it looked like a decent setup that stayed mostly out of the way.

I think it started - as an option - in the mid-1990's coincident with the inception of the "police model" XJ (column shift and a few other changes...)

5-90

sidriptide said:
any interest in selling the mounting bracket?? :)

I was outbid on one last week..... :doh:

NOS with a little shelf wear. I wasn't that interested...so it went for 23.50

As a side note, when I bought my tow hook kit years ago it was packaged as a tow hook/winch mounting bracket. It came with the normal stuff to mount the tow hooks...

BUT.. came with side brackets that went on the inside of the rails and looks like a winch tray would fit in there...

I've seen pics somewhere...looked pretty sharp.

:laugh:
"Bumper Wench" I just have to know one thing... Is she hot? :laugh3: My XJ didn't come with any wenches... They probably cost a lot to maintain.

I agree. wait untill after christmas so youre wench doesnt need anything extra to go with it. :D

Back