• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ice

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
This is the first winter I have had my Cherokee. It recently sleeted and snowed in Kansas City where I live, and the night the snow was falling, it started over heating at red lights and stuff but increased throttle would cool it off, is it common to get ice in the condensor that prevents air flow? I noticed a lot of ice on it, and as soon as everything melted the problem ceased. The condenser would not have been hot because I have the clutch on the compressor unhooked because the bearings in it are junk, and I dont want the A/C system going to hell before I can replace it. Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do about it?

Thanks

Ecarlcl

Ecarlcl said:
This is the first winter I have had my Cherokee. It recently sleeted and snowed in Kansas City where I live, and the night the snow was falling, it started over heating at red lights and stuff but increased throttle would cool it off, is it common to get ice in the condensor that prevents air flow? I noticed a lot of ice on it, and as soon as everything melted the problem ceased. The condenser would not have been hot because I have the clutch on the compressor unhooked because the bearings in it are junk, and I dont want the A/C system going to hell before I can replace it. Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do about it?

Thanks

Ecarlcl
How's the anitfreeze in your cooling system? Seems to me there should be enough heat from the rad to prevent condenser icing if the rad isn't frozen up. Just a thought....
Otherwise, consider a winter front, I have one that just fastens on with snap fasteners.

Back