• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Next maintenance items...

gigantor919

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89' 4.0l XJ with 171,000 miles on it. I've done some maintenance items such as replacing diff fluid, replacing coolant, new springs and shocks and a new exhaust manifold.

What else should I do to keep this baby running tip top?

Replace all the rest of the fluids and don't forget the brake fluid. Air filter, tranny filter, and fuel filter too. Lube suspension and driveline joints, check brakes for sufficient friction material, check that rear brake cylinders aren't frozen. Check rubber brake hoses for cracks. Fix a thousand little things the previous owner neglected.

PaulJ said:
Replace all the rest of the fluids and don't forget the brake fluid. Air filter, tranny filter, and fuel filter too. Lube suspension and driveline joints, check brakes for sufficient friction material, check that rear brake cylinders aren't frozen. Check rubber brake hoses for cracks. Fix a thousand little things the previous owner neglected.

How do I lube the suspension and driveline joints?

gigantor919 said:
How do I lube the suspension and driveline joints?
Find all of the zirk fittings and grease them until clean grease comes out of the seal (wipe off the excess). The slip spline on the front driveshaft, usually just takes a couple/few good pumps with a grease gun. The Carden joint at the rear of the front drive shaft, most always takes a special tip/adaptor to grease the joints. These joints are often neglected and expensive to replace. Some of the Zirk fittings, for the U-joints are tight and hard to get to. Raising the vehicle and/or turning the shaft until the angle allows access works. I always change my grease gun tips to the narrow variety.
When you check the rear brakes, grab the axle end and push up and down, should be very little play. In and out play doesn´t mean much, unless it´s excessive. Look close at the outer axle seal for seepage, if it´s seeping, in a few months it´s likely to be a leak and soak your new brakes in axle oil. Take a look behind the dust covers, for the wheel brake cylinders (careful they tear easy).
When you change the rear diff. oil, pry the carrier up, with a 18" pry bar or chunk of wood. The bearings at the outside of the carrier should have, no up and down play. Grab the pinion yoke (outside the diff. front) and wiggle up and down, in and out, should be no play (very little, like thousandths of an inch).
Hundred other things, to look at, part of learning where you are at with your XJ. Nice to know whats worn, what´s bad and whats coming. I usually prioritise my fixes into nice, necessary and emergency. Brakes, steering parts and seriously worn bearings, usually qualify as emergency.
I usually download a factory, major service check list and go down the list.

Back