• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noises of suspension???

JLane99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
something in the rear suspension of my junk is driving me nutz..

i've recently upgaded to new Rusty's 3.5" leaf pack & in conjunction w/ a 1.5" lift shackle (also less than 2 months old/new), after running it for about a week less than 1k miles something started to clunk/rattle (sorta sounds like when a drawbar rattles in a receiver hitch) when i'd go over a bump..

i went over every bolt & nut & made sure every thing was tight & still this noise persists..

the rear spring eye bushings appear to be ok, but i wonder if they are in some way faulty & are causing the racket...

Does anybody know if Rusty's spring eye bushings (rubber i think) or the shackle (also Rusty's) bushings (poly i think) have a tendency to be el-cheapo & give to much & allow this sort noise to happen??

Also check to see if the shackle is hitting the bumper mouting bolts that come through into the area behind the shackle. Happened to me. Just cut the end of the bolt shorter and it won't interfere.
Chad

thanks for the info...

i'll try those...

but why do you think i just started hearin the noises after a wk.?

I have the same spring pack on my '99 XJ and it made the same types of noises over speed bumps, drive entrances, and off-road until I removed the rear anti-sway bar. After I did that, the noises went away, and I had no noticable change in drivability.

My poly shackle bushings clunk and pop when needing lube. A test that isolated the problem was a quick spray down with a hose. The noise went away, so I knew it wasn't a 'hard' impact like shackle/tailpipe.

Ronbo said:
My poly shackle bushings clunk and pop when needing lube. A test that isolated the problem was a quick spray down with a hose. The noise went away, so I knew it wasn't a 'hard' impact like shackle/tailpipe.

What kind of grease do you use to grease those poly bushings because I have noticed mine squeek like no other and I want to know how to stop them doing that.

Thanks,
Jamie

What kind of grease do you use to grease those poly bushings because I have noticed mine squeek like no other and I want to know how to stop them doing that.

I would recomend white lithium grease. It is the nicest of lubricants....typically it does not damage rubber/poly/or just about anything else. This is because it's not petroleum based.

Usually you should grease before install......so you may get to take it apart again.

Back