• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c-rok and others...STRAIGHTFORWARD method to go 35 on a 60

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
there was a thread a while back that touched on this subject....

I wanna ask once more cause there was a variety of responces, and different avenues to follow.

what's a smart way to "go 35 spline" on my 60?

I think I'm pretty comfortable with grinding off the old snouts and using new ones. I don't want to have to buy new hubs and brakes if at possible....

I also am willing to bore the existing ones out if there is a reasonable way to do it.

If I have to source out aftermarket shafts anyway, does it make any sense to go 40 spline and a spool?

or is it smarter to stick with 35 spline for selectable locker choices sometime in the future?

thoughts appreciated.

I can't help much if you want to stay full floater and from the sounds of things, if you want to keep your brakes and hubs, I think that's what you're saying.
If you want to go semi float, then the best way I know is to use 9 inch, big bearing housing ends. You can either scavenge some off a junk yard housing or get them new from Currie for about $75/pair. After that, it's pretty straight forward. All the outer stuff can then be anything big bearing Ford (after market or OEM) or you could also fab/re-fab your backing plate etc.

I run 40 splines and the full spool. The 40 splines are cool 'cause they make peoples eyes open wider when you tell them but I really highly, highly doubt you'd ever break a 35. I wheel with guys that run 42s and work it waaaay harder than me and they've never broke a rear 35. I went with 40 'cause my plan was to go full spool any way and the 40 spline shafts were $100 more for the pair than the 35. The WOW! factor was worth it at the time for me.

In retrospect, I really wish I had an ARB back there and would do a shaved 60 with semi float 35 splines like described above if I were to do it again.
Driving forward with a spool usually works pretty good but trying to back up and turn can take some distance. That and the rubber I lose with just a little street driving makes me cringe.

Last edited:
I guess before I decide anything, I should probably measure my ends to see if I have a larger or smaller axle end.....I guess full floaters can have either....

if I have the big one, as I understand it, all i have to do is bore it out. wether that is easy or difficult remains to be seen, doesn't sound intimidating to me....

then, I would need to add a selectable locker or spool of my choice, and say, dutchman axles built to spec....

if I am understanding this right, I'd have a 35 spline 60, with the same size axle ends as a dana 60 semi float, 'cept mine would still be a full floter......

when i was at SEMA this year, i looked at the new detroit from tractech and superior, which have teamed up to build a 40 spline 60 detroit locker for those serious competition guys. This would be ideal as to not limit like the spool, but serious eye popping strength in your 60....

Tracy

gotcha.....

those offerings seem interesting......however, I think I would do something on-the-cheap int he form of a welded carrier in the short term, only to throw in a selectable in the future when I am able....

a full locker like a detroit doesn't seem to make economical sense at this stage, for my kind of rig.......

I think at this point, I would just be happy getting rid of those 30-spline axles.

I can only hope, my wheeling buddies do the same so I quit breaking thiers too!

Beez, I'm 99% sure Roscoe bored out his spindles to go to 35 spline. Macgyvr probably has the dope on what he did if you can get ahold of him.

The Dana 70 full floater has with the 25 spline shafts the same thread size for the wheel nut as the Dana 60 front and they are using the same wheel bearings. I'm sure that all you have to do is machine the spindle to the needed inner size to fitr a 35 spline shaft.

The 14 bolt uses also the same wheel bearings so the outer diameter of the spindle has to be the same, Dana 60, 70 and GM 14 bolt share the same inner and outer wheel bearings, just the inner wheel seal is different.

Get your 35 spline shafts full float, see how much you have to ream to make them fit and do it. No negative side effects :D

There are different spindles that were used on the ford housing like B and I have. Fortunately, we both have the spindles that are thick enough to be bored. Yes skippy, I measured yours. Unfortunately, we don't have the spindles that are already bored out enough. I did an axle for a buddy in CO that has those very spindles. He's talking about going 70 now and I'm trying to weasel him out of his housing.

Beez, just chuck the housing in the lathe and bore out the spindles. Yep, you read that correctly, chuck the ENTIRE housing up and do it. That is if you have a manly enough lathe.

Goatman said:
So......do you have one? :dunno:

:D :D

a lathe?

yeah, a shitty one that a pack of polish hammerheads have abused over the years because they think they know it all and can't be trained.

I don't think I've heard anyone use it with out it screaming like an ass-poked parrot.

you've touched a sore spot.

Beezil said:
a lathe?

yeah, a shitty one that a pack of polish hammerheads have abused over the years because they think they know it all and can't be trained.

I don't think I've heard anyone use it with out it screaming like an ass-poked parrot.

you've touched a sore spot.

You're welcome.

:D

Back