• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a 1986 Cherokee Pioneer

Robbo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to this group and the XJ Jeep. I do have a Grand Wagoneer though.

I just bought a 1986 Pioneer with what I'm told is a rod bearing knock in
it's 2.5L engine. If that's truly the case, and nothing else is wrong, how
difficult is it to fix this on this engine. Did the 4.0L engine come in this model
year and should I look at a swap instead of a repair?

The body is in great shape with minor surface rust behind the wheel wells
and the interior is in really good shape. Paid $299 and I think I got a good deal.

The 2.5 would be easy to fix if you have the ability. If not, buy a rebuilt or used 2.5 and swap that in. The 4.0l ddid not come in the XJ till 87. At this point they changed much of the front structure and firewall to fit the larger engine. This swap(2.5L to 4.0L) is not a good idea. There is plenty of old posts on this, do a search.

You got a great deal on the Jeep even with a bad engine, I wish I was so lucky. I am still looking. Want to sell me yours? :laugh3:

Good deal IMHO! The knock coudl be repaired but I would check compresion b4 tearing into it. If its at all weak you can get a 86-90 2.5L adn it will drop right in. I am in the process of finishing up a 94 2.5L MPI swap into my 84 XJ. Talk about fun! Welcome, you have come to the right place for XJ info. There are people on this board that have been around XJ's since the begining!

Ghost said:
Good deal IMHO! The knock coudl be repaired but I would check compresion b4 tearing into it. If its at all weak you can get a 86-90 2.5L adn it will drop right in. I am in the process of finishing up a 94 2.5L MPI swap into my 84 XJ. Talk about fun! Welcome, you have come to the right place for XJ info. There are people on this board that have been around XJ's since the begining!

u sure it isnt a loose torque converter bolt or cracked flexplate? just my 2 cents

but then again there are those daring souls who chop the front clip off and graft on a 4.0L front end.... just takes a good donor vehicle.. with the right $$ and knowledge anything can be done.. i'd just go with a quailty rebuild if it is in-fact a bad engine...
mike

jeepguy97 said:
u sure it isnt a loose torque converter bolt or cracked flexplate? just my 2 cents

I haven't a clue yet. The previous owner was told it was a rod bearing and
he's not mechanically inclined. I bought it figuring worst case I'd be buying
just a body and scrapping the old engine. I saw it this morning, temperature
was hovering around 0. I figured at that temp it would be better to not try to start it. No sense making a minor problem into a bigger one because of cold, slow moving oil. I don't even have it home yet, waiting for warmer temps next
week.

Thanks for the responses, looks like I found the right home.

Back