• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Streering Wheel Vibrates over rough road. Ideas?

cem

NAXJA Forum User
After installing 3" lift a year ago, the steering vibrates over rough roads and some bumps. Its not all that bad, but i'd like to firm things up? What could be causing this?

Some options:
1. Lower the track bar frame mount
2. Raise the track bar axle mount
3. Get a drop pitman arm
4. Setup high steer on the knuckles

K9Cop said:
You've got what is called "Bump Steer". Did you upgrade any of the control arms when you installed the lift? That could be causing it.

bumpsteer is caused by draglink and track bar not being parallel. control arms have nothing to do with it. control arms would however have an effect on steering shimmy or "death wobble".

xj92 said:
Some options:
1. Lower the track bar frame mount
2. Raise the track bar axle mount
3. Get a drop pitman arm
4. Setup high steer on the knuckles

if all the mounting points are stock there is no need to do 1 or 2, as lifting will increase the angle of trackbar and draglink by the same amount. drop pitman arm will reduce the angle of draglink, but not of trackbar. highsteer with 3" of lift will do more harm than good.

cem, did you use drop pitman arm with the lift? if you did, try swapping back to stock. was the alignment done after the lift? if not recently, it's a good idea to check that first. can you take a pic of the front end steering components?

My lift is at 3.5" with stock mounting for trac-bar and drag-link. When I temporarily ran the RE HD trac-bar and mount, I had no bump steer, and the change was very noticeable. I replaced it (because the diff cover would hit the bar) with a Teraflex unit using the stock mounting locations again and the bump steer is back. It's not bad, but it was a whole lot better with the RE trac-bar and the replacement mount that drops it down. Not a scientific analysis, just my experience.

No I did not drop the pitman arrm. I did install a Rustys track bar. Alignment was done after lift and this condition was present then as well. I'll take a pic as soon as I am able.

Thanks

xj92 said:
It's not bad, but it was a whole lot better with the RE trac-bar and the replacement mount that drops it down. Not a scientific analysis, just my experience.

RE frame bracket doesn't drop the upper pivot point. but it's definately beefier and flexes way less, which probably contributed to firmer handling.
tbar5.jpg

The vibration occurs on washboard roads and potholes. The streering wheel doesn't move in a way causing it to turn. The energy from the suspension is transfered to the streering column.

Are you running poly bushings? If so they transmit alot od vibration. Switch to rubber to help the vibes

out of curiosity...

what size tires are you running, and what pressure do you run them at?

when you run a larger/wider tire, you need to drop the tire pressure a little.

for example:
to get the proper contact patch on my 33X12.50s, I run them at 27psi on the street. I used to run them at 33psi (figuring I'd get better mileage) but all I did was cup the tread, and make the ride quality TERRIBLE (especially over washboards/sharp bumps)

Back