• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big BEar on 6th

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Big Bear on 6th

OK... the other thread kind of grew long :) so here is the info again and please check in before SAt so we don't leave anyoen out :)

Meeting spot and time:
We will meet on April 6th at 8:30 with trail departure by 9am (plenty of time to get there: I will be driving from Westminster and I plan to make it there early ). ATtention!!!!! Attention... attention.... those who are going Sunday... remmber Daylight savings time starts so:
"During DST, clocks are turned forward an hour, effectively moving an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening"
We are still meeting at 9am of the PROPER and CURRENT time :)

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

The meeting spot will be the beginning of the trail at the staging area:
As your'e going north on 330 and it merges with the 18 look at your odometer. About 2.8 miles north from that spot, there is aroad that goes left. It's called Green Valley Way. Turn left onto it (well it only goes left) and go another 2 miles or so till you come to a road that goes left. That will be 3N16. If you pass a small lake on your left you went too far. Anyways, there might be a sign directing you to crab flats campground and or staging area. As you're on 3N16, very quickly you should come to a parking/staging area to your right. That's where we're going to be.

Set your CB to channel 4 if you can't find us and give us a holler. FYI, CB's don't work too well in the mountains so if you're too far or on the wrong side of the mountains we might not be able to hear you.

I would like for everyone to have front and rear towpoints, (hitch is ok both front and rear) as well as a fire extinguisher, a full size spare and some food and stuff to drink of course . Oh.. lets not forget CB's of course. If you don't have a CB try to get one (handhelds are ussually OK, but if you won't be able to, let us know ahead of time so that we can plan for it.

Btw, it's easy to miss the turn off, so I include two maps. The frist one is of mapquest and second one is one I scanned. Please email me @ [email protected] with any questions.

http://home.socal.rr.com/remi/pics/map.jpg
http://home.socal.rr.com/remi/pics/map1.jpg

Last edited:
sunday run bb

hey kej. sorry it took so long to get back. mentioned that i live in yorba linda and was going to try and tag along caravan. i am right between imperial hwy and weir canyon exits so i could meet you in one of those places if you want. no problems if you need to jam straight thru, i used to ride outta crab flats all the time when i had motorcycles so i know the area. looking forward to the trip . let me know if you want to meet and where.otherwise ,see ya up there. marroon 91 cherokee limited,liscense plate read "TRALE B8". see ya there
mikeyl
NAXJA member #522

where do you want to meet?

no problem on the time kej. i usually get up at 4:30-5:00 am to drive to san diego anyway couple days a week and stay down there tues,wed,thurs. anyway preference as to imperial hwy or weir canyon to meet? both exits have shopping centers. the easiest one to get into is off imperial,less winding around. let me know and i'll meet ya there. will post on your mailbox too.
thanks
NAXJA member #522

send me a mapquest map or yahoo map to whichever one you feel best (it's your neighbourhood) and if you have a cell gimme that number as well :) You can put that in either a pm or email me to [email protected]

Remi aka Kejtar
P.S. Remember about the time chnage

I hadn't planned on coming out to this run, but I've got sunday free, and could use a little slow wheeling after that DV endurance run, good god that was long.

What would you recomend, I havent been on those roads for a while up to there, and dont remember how slow/fast they are. I have 2 options... 138 all the way to the 18 and over, lots of mountain driving from the looks of it... or 138 to 15 to 215 then up that way.... What do you think would be the better option?

Jason

Being that I didnt plan on coming, I didnt follow any of the bigbear threads... how long do you expect this run to go, and how many vehicles are we looking at so far? What kind of trail is it... Do I need to bring my heavy metal CDs to keep awake on the fireroads, or should I bring my kidney belt for the rockcrawling?

:)

Jason

BTW, is Grasshopper coming up for this run? I thought I saw a reply (I'm browsing through the message archives) that he was coming up. If so... Grasshopper! Are you close to Old man Leonard? Can you grap one of the hooks from him that he put aside for me? I'll give you the cash for him at the trail... If not, let me know, maybe I can find someone down that way to shuttle it up for me...

Anyone???

BTW Remi, I read the reply by Ed Stevens (Every reply by that guy is GREAT) so I now know the difficulty, etc that should be expected... Thanks Ed, you are the man.

Jason

lol.... Yup Ed is the Man and he might grace us with his presence :) :)

Btw, Grasshopper will be there since Sat with Sequoia (That will be one cold night LOL)

Kejtar

well... Sequoia got Holly.... Grashopper got his XJ :)
Actually it won't be thaaaat bad. I have camped in way colder weather while it was raining so they won't have it that bad... but once you get used to CA... it can get kind of chilly LOL

Kejtar

Hey, I can post again! Some how got lost when the old format was dropped. Anyway I will be there as well. I was up at this staging area mid Feb. on my way out from deep creek. The wife won't be able to make it, but my thirteen year old son will be.
I'm looking forward to putting faces on some screen names. That and any excuse to drive up the hill is a good one!

Remi
I'll see you all on the hill.... early I hope... depending on how late of a night I have.
See Ya !!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Every one get back alright? Xtreme and I got to Fawnskin about ten to six. I got down the hill about 7:30. Forgot to tell Curt how to get to the freeway when Hwy. 38 drops out of the hills. Does anybody know if WRONG WAY's group ever found I-15? I'm sure that they did, but it may be awhile before they all get back from Baker.
No, really, My son and I had a great time. He fell in love with the Waggy. And don't ya know, we passed one parked on a corner in Mentone w/ a for sale sign in the window. No we didn't stop!
Any ways, hope to do it again some time. Maybe 17x from Silverwood through 37 to about where we started today.
BTW, have a good time in JV next week, Dads B-day on the 12th so I'll be hanging around here.

Tim

lol... Funny man....
Yeah we got home allrtight (or at least I did). We spent quite a bit of time at a gas station airng up as the compressor there had low pressure, and you had to keep going to the attendant to have them reset it. Anyways between all of our pumps and that compressor I Think we aired up in about an hour LOL.....

Btw, I just caught a glimpse on the news: a small plane crashed in the mountains I think in the area and they triangulated on the woman's cell phone(not sure how she was involved but she got to the hospital).

Kejtar

Back