• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gerry Can mount options

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I have a 98XJ with stock rear bumper and I am trying to figure out pro's and con's of all solutions.

1. I could mount it to the rear hatch and use some stronger struts for the lift (or even make a fold out support).

2. I could start planning to fab something out and keep in on the bumper (btw the spare tire stays inside the cargo area so I will have no tire mount :( ).

Anything else that I am forgetting???

Kejtar

get a quality jerry can guaranteed not to leak when laid on it's side, and lay it down on the roof rack??

I thought about that.... (btw... I got two NATO jerry can and they are pretty damn tight ) but that means that I gotta get a rack first :) :)
Plus I wanna keep weight low...

Btw Ary... chekc your private messages :)

Kejtar

How about a hitch insert with an up-kick, so it doesn't screw your departure angle, and a custom Gerry can rack built on that. That preserves the rear hatch and avoids any need for stiffer struts and/or prop rods, and when you don't need the Gerry cans you can remove the entire thing and leave it home in the carport.

Essentially, I'm talking about a smaller and slightly raised version of those hitch-mounted luggage platforms that Quadratec (among others) sells.

Personally, in Urban/Moron Driver enviroment, I'd be scared chitless to mount fuel on the rear bumper, but then again, the XJ tank is right there underneath it eh.

A little lift here and a lower moron there and there is already intrusion possibility from below...especially w/o a skid, but even so. Adding fuel can in a sandwich-mode seems like a recipie for disaster? Maybe I am paranoid :dunno: Sure looks 'cool' on the SWBs but isn't 20gl enough?

Now for trail mode, a can mounted up out of the scrub zone might be OK, allowing for another 60+# up high and back. Johann had a small (3gl?) can mounted behind the tire on his Tomken bumper mtd spare and his 93? 'glass hatch. Safer than can first into steel hatch by some, if the can is sturdy in compresion.

Oh... I would not have the cans on while in the city :) The mount could possibly stay if it's permanent but I don't expect the fear of running out of fuel while around town... I'd be more worried about some idiot stealing it or hitting it....

I considered the hitch idea, but then if I want to pull my (well my folks') trailer or still use the tow hook in the hitch... that woudln't work.....

I'm thinking about doing some fab work and making a bumper with can mounts...... we'll see how it goes..

Kejtar

Back