• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 trac-loc options

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
My MJ has a factory Dana 44 with the trac-loc posi in it. I'd rather not spend time or money rebuilding it, so what other options do I have as far as replacing it with a locker? I have never worked on a differential before so reply with small and simple words. Can I "pull out the trac-lock" and replace it with a locker? Or is a whole replacement carrier the way to go? It has 3.73 gears right now. If I regear up to 4.56 I have to get a new carrier anyway right?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

Wade

I think you'll find few "drop-in" or "lunchbox" lockers that will fit the trac-lok carrier housing, so for the most part you are looking at a carrier replacement. You might want to look into the Power-Trax No-Slip ... I think it might be available in a version to fit the Dana 44 trac-lok, and it is a drop-in locker.

However, it's 5x the cost of the Trac-Lok rebuild kit. How badly did you not want to rebuild the Trac-Lok?

Yes, Eagle is correct, they do make a Powertrax No-Slip for the D44 w/ trak-lock carrier. I currently have one, but have not had the time to install it yet. I believe you are correct about the 4.56 gears needing a new carrier, so if you are planning on a regear, get an open carrier and you will have many more choices available to you.

So I am looking at a new carrier, ring and pinion set and locker. Aside from the locker, how much would the others be price wise(ballpark figure)?
I have seen ring and pinion sets but not carriers, and don't you need an install kit also?

Precision Gear install kit for a 44 is about $90.00, 4.56's $150, and labor to install $100-$300. If you get a Detroit the locker will be your carrier.

jjvande said:
how do the lunchbox lockers perform and hold up in comparison to say.. a detroit?

The better ones, like the No-Slip, perform about as well as a Detroit Locker, but they are limited in strength to the strength of the original carrier. The Detroit Locker is a complete carrier assembly that is stronger than open or Trac-Lok carriers.

A drop-in really only makes sense if you want an inexpensive locker and you don't need a new carrier. If you have to change carriers anyway due to regearing, it makes much better sense to get the Detroit.

My MJ has a factory Dana 44 with the trac-loc posi in it. I'd rather not spend time or money rebuilding it, so what other options do I have as far as replacing it with a locker? I have never worked on a differential before so reply with small and simple words. Can I "pull out the trac-lock" and replace it with a locker? Or is a whole replacement carrier the way to go? It has 3.73 gears right now. If I regear up to 4.56 I have to get a new carrier anyway right?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

Wade

Onetallmj, what did you decide to do with your 44. I also have a 44 with the Trac Lock and I'm thinking about the PowerTrax No-Slip since its the only option for the LSD case.

It's all about bringing back really old threads.

Damn,a 6yr old thread,might be a new record!

Back