• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing RE 1.25" lift shackles BUT borla exh. in the way

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

i got some RE 1.25" rear lift shackles to add to my current lift setup (4" trailmster lift......i know i know it was all i could afford at the time)

but i wanted to go slightly bigger, so i got these 1.25" RE shachles for the rear and .75" spacers forthe front ( i heard the RE's are only goood for about .75 anyway, so it would work)

the problem i ran into last night (literally), was on the right side with my borla exhaust tip. right now it is REALLY close to the bottom of the existing (OEM shackle) and with the extended length shackle, it just woyldnt fit...unless i lowered the exhaust end, by like 1.5" or so...which i REALLY dont wantto do for clearance and appearance reasons...

any ideas on what to do with the exhaust?

(to give u a better idea, the exhaust pipe comes out straight, parallel to the gas tank skid...and then at the last foot and a half or so, angles to the right and then back, going UNDER the shackle.)

please help???!!

CaptTrev

I had the same issue. According to Borla their exhaust pipe doesn't work on lifted vehicles.

I went down to AutoZone and bought some straight pipe that would slip over the borla tube (I forget the diameters, take a ruler). I cut the borla pipe right before it makes that subtle turn towards the shackle, it should be right about the area for the for the rear hanger. I slipped the AZ tube onto the Borla tube and clamped it down with the hanger. It ended up going straight out and hugs my gas tank skid, with about 1" of clearance.

HTH
Mark F

CaptTrev said:
hey guys,

i got some RE 1.25" rear lift shackles to add to my current lift setup (4" trailmster lift......i know i know it was all i could afford at the time)

but i wanted to go slightly bigger, so i got these 1.25" RE shachles for the rear and .75" spacers forthe front ( i heard the RE's are only goood for about .75 anyway, so it would work)

the problem i ran into last night (literally), was on the right side with my borla exhaust tip. right now it is REALLY close to the bottom of the existing (OEM shackle) and with the extended length shackle, it just woyldnt fit...unless i lowered the exhaust end, by like 1.5" or so...which i REALLY dont wantto do for clearance and appearance reasons...

any ideas on what to do with the exhaust?

(to give u a better idea, the exhaust pipe comes out straight, parallel to the gas tank skid...and then at the last foot and a half or so, angles to the right and then back, going UNDER the shackle.)

please help???!!

CaptTrev

I had the same problem with my BB shackle which was longer than the RE shackle (1.75 vs 1.25 lift) I'm running now.

I too went to auto zone, but I just got a turn down and chopped my stock pipe. No super cool bling tip for me.....

You should be able to do the same, depending on how big that exhaust is... but remember the pic worked with the BB shackle... I now have the same RE shackle you do and it still works fine so....

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

If you are worried about departure angle ... you can trim the end of that turn down as well ... I did

This makes 3 of us with the same issue.

BTW, don't just chop the pipe off before that Z-bend......you'll melt the lower shackle bushing in pretty short order. I used a short turn down pipe.

Back