• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ideas for front bumper

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm gonna use some time during xmas to fab my own bumper. I think I'm going to go with 3x6 rectangular tubing (not sure how thick I need to be). I want this to be stout enough to mount a winch. Not sure if I try to 'bend' it to the contour of the xj, or just go straight across. Also, I want to taper it, angling up to the ends so I don't give up clearance on approach.
What do I need to look at for mounting it, tying into the frame, etc.
I haven't bought any of the materials yet, so if anyone wants to share what has worked well, I'm listening.

Heres some pics of mine,It took about a week to kake the contour!
My front bumper

Your best bet is to research the project well in advance...(it appears as though you got that one in the bag)
Next...think about weight. Don't over build.
RCP has good ideas...I think it (the bend) can be done if you keep your material down in size (maybe 3/16" max?) Cutting torches and BFH's.
All in all...building your own bumpers is doable (not to mention cool) take your time...have lots of material....and research....
Good Luck
Rick

RCP, that is a very nice bumper. I especially like how you matched it to the fender flares on the side. I will be making my own bumper soon and would like to know where you got the reciever hitch mount and D-Rings from. Is there some company out there that sells that kind of hardware? Again - excellent job.
-Matt

The contour was made by flame shrinking the material(took alot of gas too).Those are shackles bolted from the back side,same as the receiver(buy it almost anywhere).

RCP...remember when there was the topic of what was an acceptable way to mount a front bumper? This was just before the Moab event and was debated for a week or two.
We were told that only exstended mounting plates would do.....
I noticed yours goes no further than the stock set-up....
as does mine....
I don't supose you see any problem with that either????
BTW...is that mostly made of 1/8" material?
Rick

Here is mine. There are more pics on my web page.

RR3

DSCN0761.JPG

Jump This said:
RCP...remember when there was the topic of what was an acceptable way to mount a front bumper? This was just before the Moab event and was debated for a week or two.
We were told that only exstended mounting plates would do.....
I noticed yours goes no further than the stock set-up....
as does mine....
I don't supose you see any problem with that either????
BTW...is that mostly made of 1/8" material?
Rick

Your pretty close! I built this 2 years go as my first XJ fab job! Its 1/4" for the mounting ears(tripled to 3/4" for the shackles).The top tube is .188" and everything else is .120". I did consider longer mounts at the time but thats just what I ended doing(seemed like a good idea at the time),I did add a bottom rail insert(so 6 bolts per side)! I can say that you can jack the XJ up from any point on the bumper(including the fender returns),plus I was once in the middle of three vehicles pulling out a stuck 1-ton Ford 4x4, amazingly it held strong.

Does anyone have pictures of the mount they used that is further down the frame rail from the stock location? I was planning on using the stock location and beefing it up a little bit. Angle Iron on the inside of the most forward two bolts and quarter inch plate welded over the outside of the mounting location. Then I was going to attach my bumper to that gusseting.

I used 3"x6" 3/16th material for mine. I cut and welded each section. I used 1/4 " material for the frame mounts and it is bolted all the way back to the back of the steering box mount on both sides (six bolts per side).

It holds 4 gal of air (sealed) and weights 95lbs complete with hooks, light mounts and 2" receiver. If I was to do it over I would not change anything.

Michael
101658674OHfYTP_th.jpg

Your getting too complicated. Take a look at my photos and you should be able to see what I did.

All you need is to use 1/4" or larger flat bar down the outside of each frame rail. Mount them and then weld your bumper to it. I recommend welding both back and bottom of bumper to the frame mounts for much greater strength. It is very simple and easy to fabricate.

Michael

geo78 said:
Does anyone have pictures of the mount they used that is further down the frame rail from the stock location?

I was going to take a pic of mine that I made this summer, but the batteries are dead in my camera. If you look down the frame rails past your sway bar, there will be an un used hole. I extended the mounts back to that point. Edit Stole the batts. out of one of the kids walkmans.
standard

Last edited:
geo78 said:
Does anyone have pictures of the mount they used that is further down the frame rail from the stock location? I was planning on using the stock location and beefing it up a little bit. Angle Iron on the inside of the most forward two bolts and quarter inch plate welded over the outside of the mounting location. Then I was going to attach my bumper to that gusseting.
Click on my name and check out the pics on my homepage.

RR3

I am actually building a bumper right now. I have the uni body plate mounts on cad. Do you have a way to view .dwg files? There are several free viewers online if you do not. I will be cutting one out tomorrow for a test fit. The file I have on hand right now does not have all of the dimentions stated. I can fill in the blanks tomorrow if you are interested.

Brad

Back