• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Spearkers

Stew78429

NAXJA Forum User
My two front (door) speakers are intermittent. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. They don't go out at the same time either, one will work and the other won't and vice versa. It's like the wiring is shorting out.
Anyone else have this problem, and if so any tips on how to fix it?

Stew

The wiring gets damaged over time with the door opening and closing. The best thing to do is run new wire and splice it in to the harness at the radio. There are quicker fixes but the same brittle wiring remains and the problem may return.
steps to fix
get colors of speaker wires at speaker (FSM if you have it)
Remove radio and locate those colors in harness.
Splice adequate length of wire onto the the harness.
Route new wires to and through door.
Attach connectors,
reassemble all.
HTH
need more info PM me

Also, if the panel has been opened and the speakers removed and put back, make sure that the connectors don't interact with the window operating mechanism. I had that, and it took a couple of times to figure out that every time I opened the window it would pull the plug!

Depending on what kind of windows you have,power or manual,there is a track for the window.You will have to take the inner door panel off to get to it.As the window goes up and down,the shield (rubber tubing) that the track slides thru "rolls"with the track.The direction of the roll is right in line with the back of the door speakers.IF the tubing is gone,the window track WILL hit the speakers,either causing the speaker to short out or as in my 89' it broke the wire and the connector to the speaker.I replaced the tubing on mine due to the fact the original was laying in the bottom of the door and split.Used apiece of gas line hose and 1 clamp.The hose has to be clamped or else it will just flop around.

Back