• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to swap your AW-4 for a 5-speed?

Randall Edge

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, Please forgive a TJ guy for wandering into an XJ forum. I have an '00 TJ with a NV-3550 and I am looking for a '98 or newer AW-4. I drive a 5-speed every day, my last 5 or 6 company vehicles have all been manuals and I am simply tired of shifting. I have started to buy the parts I need to swap in an AW-4, I already have an auto shifter and cable as well as the brake pedal for an auto. I had originally planned to buy all the parts from a junk yard, do the swap and then sell whatever is left over, but I figured I might find someone who wants a 5-speed and trade. Never hurts to ask.
Thanks,
Randall Edge

Randall Edge said:
Hello, Please forgive a TJ guy for wandering into an XJ forum. I have an '00 TJ with a NV-3550 and I am looking for a '98 or newer AW-4. I drive a 5-speed every day, my last 5 or 6 company vehicles have all been manuals and I am simply tired of shifting. I have started to buy the parts I need to swap in an AW-4, I already have an auto shifter and cable as well as the brake pedal for an auto. I had originally planned to buy all the parts from a junk yard, do the swap and then sell whatever is left over, but I figured I might find someone who wants a 5-speed and trade. Never hurts to ask.
Thanks,
Randall Edge

Randall, I really wish you the best of luck with this, but this belongs in the non-tech forum :)

Ary

there is an ecellent write-up I saw once, was either an aw-4 into a yj or tj.

one of the best write-ups i've seen actually.

I wish I remembered where I saw it.

maybe someone can post it here, but if you want, try POR and search over there to see if you can come up with the link

Randall Edge said:
Thanks,
Randall Edge

Where are you located?

rockcrawlinxj said:
Hey Ary, IMHO, this looks like a mod to me. A mod for him and a mod for the other half of the swap

Yeah, he PMed me yesterday askin if I was interested in directly swapping with him, so I personally viewed this more as a wanted post, than a "can you help me post." That's all

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:

sarvermr said:
you've probably already found this site, but here's another tj aw4 swap:
http://www.thebassetts.us/Jeep/AW4/AW4_files/page0001.htm

matthew
Thanks for the links guys. I've already talked to Bob and Stu a couple of times. Both have excellent write-ups and both were very helpful. Since you have seen the write-ups you have an idea what is involved in the swap. The NV-3350 is about an inch shorter than the AW-4 so you might actually get by without modifying the driveshafts. The only other thing I'm really not sure about is how the XJ PCM will react to the 5-speed. I read on another post here that someone on JU's Speed freaks forum had done the AW-4 to 5-speed swap and had done a write-up, but I haven't been able to find it.

As long as this has turned into a tech post here is the basic info I sent to Ary yesterday:

I have an '00 TJ with a NV-3550 and I am looking for a '98 or newer AW-4. I am on the east coast. (Savannah, Ga.) perhaps we could work out a trade if your interested. I already have an auto shifter and cable as well as the brake pedal for an auto.
Things I still need from a donor XJ are:
Tranny
Torque converter w/bolts
T-case adapter
Cooling lines
TCU
Shift indicator w/light
Flexplate w/bolts
Dip stick
Dust shield
Connectors for the tranny and TCU. I can probably find these in a junk yard if I have to.

I think that pretty much covers it, but I probably left a couple of little things out. Basically I need everything attached to the tranny. That list should give you an idea of the stuff you will need to change when you do your swap to a 5-speed. All the stuff that gets pulled from mine will go with the tranny. I will even try to remove the pilot bearing and crank spacer without damaging either so that they can be re-used. I think your T-case input gear will work with the 3550, but you will loose about 1/2" of spline engagement. No biggie. Other than that the only problem I can think of is the PCM on your XJ may have to be changed to a 5-speed model or perhaps it can simply be flashed with the correct info or it may even work fine as is, I'm not familiar enough with XJ's to say.

Back