• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Crossmember nutsert

Johann

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I got a little heavy handed with a friends impact wrench and spun one of the crossmember bolts in the frame nutsert. It is still solid but there aren't any threads!

Surely I am not the first :D

Could anyone suggest a larger size of bolt to retap the nutsert for? Doesn't have to last forever- Custom crossmember in my future to go flat with my clocked D300- but for now, retap I think.

Also- what size were the original bolts in the frame? metric 12- 14? I knew at one time.

I've got to return that impact wrench before I do anymore damage!

Thanks

Johann

FYI, another option is that there are plugs in the body directly above the holes. You have to remove the carpet to get to them but they allow you to put a longer bolt with a nut.

Thanks Jason,

That is a great tip! I hadn't thought about it from the other side.

Johann

Some previous owner of my 87 had stripped or sheared one of these, and solved it by putting a longer bolt in "nut down." As long as it didn't rust too much, you could hold the end of the bolt with pliers and get the nut started without having to go through the carpet again.

Johann
I stripped one on each side. What I did was get a longer bolt the same size. I then got some 1/8" X 1" strap cut 3" or 4" long. and a nut for the bolt. I then drilled a hole in the strap & welded the nut to the strap over the hole & fished it into the frame with bail'n wire and threaded the new longer bolt in and it binds up inside the frame so it can be tightened up.
Good Luck !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back