• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help making a decision: 3.5" vs. 4.5"

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm debating between the 3.5" and 4.5" RE lifts with replacement rear springs. What I want to know is what/if any the difference is in handling on road between the two? While I would love to say that I wheel a lot, my XJ is mainly the DD, so it needs to be able to handle some of the old country roads around my house fairly well. I don't want to be gettin' squirly from being too tall for the road I'm driving on. Let me know what you think about the differences between the two heights, as well as any other helpful hints you might have to help me make a decision! :cheers:

I'd go 3.5 less chance of getting driveline vibes and having to do lots of other work.

Also, the tire size you intend to go will dictate what gear changes you will need. 31's w/ stock gearing is barely livable, but if you don't wheel much, it might be ok for you. Gas milege being awful too. Either way, the ball gets rollinh and more money will be spent!

aplatz said:
Also, the tire size you intend to go will dictate what gear changes you will need. 31's w/ stock gearing is barely livable, but if you don't wheel much, it might be ok for you. Gas milege being awful too. Either way, the ball gets rollinh and more money will be spent!

i won't be doing any hardcore rockcrawling or anything like that. It's going to be the DD/only vehicle for a while still (since i'm in college). So i guess on that note i'm starting to lean towards the 3.5" since I wouldn't have the money for an SYE immediately. i originally wanted to run 32's, but now i'm not quite sure. I'll probably end up getting 31's since I want to run the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Then I could later do a BB to get the 4.5" if I wanted :party:

collegeoffroad said:
i won't be doing any hardcore rockcrawling or anything like that. It's going to be the DD/only vehicle for a while still (since i'm in college). So i guess on that note i'm starting to lean towards the 3.5" since I wouldn't have the money for an SYE immediately. i originally wanted to run 32's, but now i'm not quite sure. I'll probably end up getting 31's since I want to run the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Then I could later do a BB to get the 4.5" if I wanted :party:

Sounds to me like your on the right track. Both will drive well, I have the RE 5.5" lift and I think it drives and corners better than stock. 3.5" and 31s will probably be ideal. And it looks great too.

I too had this question. I ended up with the 4.5" knowing that I would want to go higher once the bug started. If the XJ is 97+ you will most likely need a SYE installed. I tried and ran my 4.5" with no SYE, but the vibes were too noticable for me. Now I'm moving on to 32 or 33s with new gears.

Good luck and have fun
Check it out

I just recieved my 3.5" w/rear leaf packs yesterday via UPS, I also went with the smaller system hoping to avoid the cost of the SYE especially since my 2000Xj is a daily driver first and a toy second. I plan to run 31x10.50's once everthing is put together (after x-mas)
I will let you know how it turns out.

Silver Bullet

Congrats on the purchase! Now you're in deep. Prepare to watch you gas milege take a dive until you correct your gearing problem with the 31's. No turning back now!

If you're SURE you won't want to go much higher, get the 3.5" kit. You can go up another inch with an RE shackle for the rear. I would add the ACOS at the same time, so going up in front later is EASY!
All of the RE kits ride good and flex great, though. You can't go wrong.

Back