• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon 4.5 kit is it worth the money for the spring packs?

upandovr

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to order the kit and I need to know if it is worth the extra 200 bucks for the complete spring pack verses the add a leaf. I know everything would be new then but how about load, flex, and ride quality? Also has anyone done these kits without sye or driveshaft mods it is going into an early 96 old style.

Yes it is worth it to get the spring pacs. Add a leafs don't last long before they sag out(especially if you actually wheel the thing) and generally ride harsh. I have had the RE 3.5" packs for three years and they still ride nice and haven't sagged too much.
It's a toss up wheather you will or won't need a SYE. On my '93 I did.

Jes

Georgia Mike said:
IMHO,If you only want 4.5",do the Dakota leaf conversion. You can easily obtain that height and be in there for less than the cost of an AAL.

mine sagged to about 2" in about 10 months :(

try usin the dak main w/ the eyes cut off, maybe that'll hold up better?

I just got done doing the RE6130 two weeks ago, and yes it was well worth it. My Son did AAL's on his and within 6 mos they were worthless.

I also got OME shocks which again make a big difference, my Son got the DT's, which are decent, but not the quality of the OME's.

As far as vibration, it's all relative, some are worse then others. Mine is minimal with a 3* shim with the thick side to the back. I'm going to go ahead and do the RE Hack & Tap after XMas anyway.

Start tomorrow with PB Blaster on the bolts, do it again, and then do it again.Do yourself a favor and have a torch for heating the rear upper shock bolts, they're the worst. get them cherry red before you break them loose, otherwise you'll snap 'em off.

Don't with the Dakota leaf conversion you have to alter a bunch of stuff? I read somewhere that the Dakota conversion was a total pain in the ass and wasn't even worth it in the end. I was wanting to go this route (and get Grand Cherokee coils for the front) because I only want about 4 inches of lift but read that a bunch of stuff had to be altered and unless you could fab really well it couldn't be done.

I've had a Skyjacker full-length AAL that gave me 3" on there for 3 1/2 years now without any problems or sagging, and I take it on trails regularly. Compression is good but downtravel isn't good because I put clamps on that hold the pack tight and don't allow separation of the leaves. It rides pretty firm but not too harsh. If you can afford packs, do it, if not, get an AAL or do Dakota leaves. I would just rather put the $150 difference toward a lockright or something.

TB-XJ said:
Don't with the Dakota leaf conversion you have to alter a bunch of stuff? I read somewhere that the Dakota conversion was a total pain in the ass and wasn't even worth it in the end. I was wanting to go this route (and get Grand Cherokee coils for the front) because I only want about 4 inches of lift but read that a bunch of stuff had to be altered and unless you could fab really well it couldn't be done.

it's no more involved than installing an add-a-leaf.

all in all, I'm VERY happy with how well mine works, and to be honest, I probably would have cracked an add-a-leaf in half by now with the way I wheel :D

CheapXJ said:
mine sagged to about 2" in about 10 months :(

try usin the dak main w/ the eyes cut off, maybe that'll hold up better?
Yes,use the Dak's main w/eyes cut off. I didn't use the main because,well,I just didn't think of it 'til it was too late. I used a leaf from an S-10 blazer that was as close to the same length as the Dak's main and just used it. Mine's been installed for over two years with no sagging,but my factory main wasn't sagged when I started out,it was still in good shape :dunno: YMMV

I have the RE 4.5 add a leaf's and blocks. I was originally irritated that my mechanic ignored my request to use the new RE spring packs, but I've had them on for 7 months now, and the jeep is as level as the day the lift was installed. No adverse handling on and off road. Keep in mind my '96 only has 35,000 original miles on it, so the stock springs were still in pretty good shape.

I thinks it's definately worth it to get the leafs. I just completed the RE 5.5" XD lift today. I did it piece by piece, and installed the 4.5" 1462 leafs today to go with the RE shackle. It's DONE. :laugh3:

Hey Bill,if you want to test them out,we are doing Broken Arrow Saturday morning!

Did anyone mention the problem (or experience) the problem with axel-wrap when using AAL? I even have the problem on the street!!
A full spring pack is next on my list.....

RCP Phx said:
Hey Bill,if you want to test them out,we are doing Broken Arrow Saturday morning!
I'd love to, but Saturday sucks this week. I've got a friend's wedding at noon to be at, and my wife's Christmas party that night. :(
I'd MUCH rather be wheelin'!! :laugh3:

Go with the RE spring packs, no doubt. My buddy used the RE add a leaf, and they needed replaced after a year. I have the 4.5" RE superflex, which is the 3.5" spring packs, and a longer shackle, and I am very pleased, rides great. I think the turns out to be more like 5 or 5.5". Just my .02

Back