• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ez locker problems

XtremeJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a detroit ez locker on ebay and sold it to someone who said when it gave problems. They returned it and I noticed the teeth were damaged on the corners. Could this be from improper installation Or was this locker worn?

Well,a bit more info would be needed for us to give an opinion :D Like,what axle was it for? IE: Dana 35's are known to bend the tubes and bind the axle shafts at the carrier,resulting in damage to the spiders and/or any TAD's installed. Did you inspect the locker when you first bought it? Was it like that when you sent it out? Can you say for 100% sure it was in good shape when you sold it? If you can,I'd say it was improperly installed,or installed in a bend axle housing. Just my $.02

The buyer said one side was slightly worn. I hadn't noticed that. Would this cause it to no work properly? It's for a dana 35.

Well,the teeth would have to be severely worn for it not to work,and they would have to be worn all the way accross the teeth,not just the edges. I think since it's a Dana 35,I'd just chalk it up to a bent housing causing the problems,especially since you stated that it was just the edges that were worn. As far as improper installation,there's really only one way it will all fit in there and still be able to fit the carrier pin in the carrier,but there are idiots out there that can seem to make the impossible happen :D I guess pix would help out in determining what happened. Can you post pix of it?

This could have been caused by carrier shaft wear from the axle it was originally installed in. Or,another cause could be colapsed springs to the point that they don't have adequate force to keep the center gears pushed apart,thus resulting in the same thing that happened to that guy. Or,the ol' standby that's probably the case,a bent housing. It's hard to tell without knowing the history behind the locker and axle. All I know is that Dana 35's don't have the structural rigidity to hold up to mildly substantial abuse. This sport is growing by leaps and bounds and the downside to it is that most folks that are just getting into it don't realize that they can't really drive these rigs like they see in the movies,or yet even worse,the current trend of 4X4 ads/commercials. So it's highly likely that the axle is to blame,and not the locker,but you just never know what it is until you know the whole history behind both.

This may sound a bit dumb. But there are two carriers for the D35 I wonder if they put it into one of the carriers that is slightly larger where the side gear sit? I would guess it's only about 1/32". Hard to tell from the pics in the link, but from the others I've looked at that one doesn't look that bad (bad pics though)

EZ Lockers only fit in the larger bore carrier. I helped a friend install an EZ in his ZJ. We had to replace his small bore carrier in order for it to fit.

RR3

Ralph said:
EZ Lockers only fit in the larger bore carrier. I helped a friend install an EZ in his ZJ. We had to replace his small bore carrier in order for it to fit.

RR3

Good to know, it was jsut a thought. Went to install a quick-lok and it was the wrong one. always wondered what the difference was up til then. :wierd:

Back