• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Arm Bushings

sdj02

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ, and when I purchased the HELP#49445 wiper arm bushings, the box says they are for 1997-2000 Cherokees. Are these the right ones for my Jeep or is there another one for my year?

those are the ones i got, and they worked perfectly. you only need 3 of the 6 though.
have fun!
-tom

What all do I have to do to replace mine. I think I need to. I have a lot of play in the arms, I have already tryed to take take them off and readjust them but it didnt work. My wipers are slaming down onto my pain below the windshield. They havfe worn right thru the paint!

Replacing the bushings is really pretty easy. The hardest part for me was finding the darn HELP! kit. Let me see how much of this I can remember.

0. remove the negative battery terminal - just to be safe.
1. Pull off the wiper arms
2. Remove the body panel thing that's over the motor and linkage. It's four or so screws on each side as I recall.
3. Pop the hood and remove the screws that hold the linkage / motor in. They are along the back firewall of the engine compartment in the top middle.
4. Unplug the motor.
5. Push the nubs down that the wiper arms attach too and wrestle the whole bastard out. Pay attention to how it goes in, lest you forget when you have to put it back in...
6. Get the 3 bushings you'll need out of the help package and remove and replace the bushings one at a time, taking care not to mix up the way all the parts fit together. Trust me on this, I wasn't quite paying attention and almost screwed up how they all go back together. A little grease will help the bushing slide back in and rotate freely.
7. Wrestle that whole assembly back in - the biggest pain in the but of the whole job.
8. Re-attach the assembly to the firewall, and the plug to the motor and the negative battery terminal.
9. Put the cover back on, reattach your wipers, wet the windshield and try them out!
10. Pat yourself on the back and wonder why you didn't do this easy job much, much sooner.

-Tom

I need to do this as well, and have been putting it off because I know the removal/reinstall of the unit will be a pain. Are there any other things/tips that I should take care of while I have the assembly out? Lube points on the motor/linkage, etc?

Thanks,
-Dave

The replacement bushings are a cup that snaps over a ball arm on the linkage. Put a daub (scientific term) of white lithium grease in each one before you snap them back on the balls. Lube anything else that moves with white lithium spray grease.

The thing to watch out for is the HELP sockets plastic is britle ad they tend to crack easy durring instalition.

I changed mine outdoors on a warm, suuny day. Find a socket that's just large enough for the end of the bushings to side into. Place the socket under the wiper arm, and TAP the busing gently down through the hole in the arm using the socket as a receiver. I used a plastic hammer, IIRC, but a medium ball pein should be fine as long as you don't wield it too entusiastically.

Eagle... so from what you are saying if I am reading this correct is that you don't have to remove the whole assembly you can just pop them in? Using your socket method?

You do have to remove the entire wiper assembly from the vehicle, as described above. I was just trying to describe the best way to insert the new bushings into the arms without destroying them. The socket needs to be resting on a solid surface for this method to work.

Fair Warning! don't wait too long to perform this fix. What will happen is you will keep saying your going to fix it before it gets too bad. Then you will hear thumping noises from under the cowl vent but you keep forgetting each time. Then you finally buy the HELP kit but decide to do the fix after going in for your annual safety inspection. Then 2 minutes after the guy pulls your rig into the garage he comes out and tells you your wipers just stopped working. Then you spend the rest of the day finding a way to fix the broken weld on the arm linkage ( the one advantage to this is that removing the motor and linkage is much easier) finally you discover how brittle the new bushings are and have to go back for another HELP kit!!! (ok maybe that's just me but you are warned!)

i am having this same problem up here in washington state and wipers are as essential up here as well the whole jeep itself but i cant find the help kit ne were any one kno were i can get one before i end up goin to the junk yard and gettin a whole new assembly :repair::gonnablow

Back