• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Clunking

Pil9rotten

NAXJA Forum User
If I roll slowly backwards and pump the brakes, I feel something up front clunking as though the axle or other part has some slop in it. I can feek it shifting as I hit the brakes. Is this something to worry about? No problems going forward or in turns only when rolling backwards. It tracks straight and I tightened up all the bolts on the various components but the sound and shifting continues.

Here's what I have in the front that may be associated
96 XJ, 4" RE super flex lift, 31" duelers, sway bar disconnects, skids front to rear, the axle is a stock Dana 30.

Thanks, :firedevil

Don't forget the LCA bushings. RE and Tera LCA bushings wear out quick. If it is check Daystar for some Polys at half the price.

another vote for the disconnects. My RE disco's make all sorts of clunking noises. Disconnect them and drive it to see if the noise persists.

First you stated that you tightened the hardware,but did you "torque" it to spec?Second,I have had problems with the factory "extruded" bolts,replace them with standard(full shank) hardware.

Back