• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 questions

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing an AX-15 to AW-4 swap. All I know about the donor tranny is that it has about 150K miles and came out of a wreck. I plan to pull the pan, replace the front and rear seals, and maybe flush the torque convertor. Are there any other items I should check our or replace as a mater of course? I've never worked on an AW-4 before but have auto tranny experience.

Don't forget the TCU and it's wiring harness!

ChiXJeff

Front and rear seals, shift shaft seals, and clean and inspect valve body. Getting a reseal kit (seals, gaskets, valve body filters, &c) should run a little short of a c-note, and the job is simple anyhow. I've worked on most automatic transmissions from FWD/4cyl transacles to Allisons, and I've found the AW4 to be one of the simples.

5-90

just watch those diagrams on the check ball locations!

so much better to open the valve body halves so the balls stay in their pockets.

a premium master kit runs 200 bucks.

Most likely you've already checked this, but the spline count can be either 21 or 23. I believe the spline count jumped to 23 in '91, but who knows for sure?

The wiring harness has gone through some changes also.

Back