• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 gears done, on to the 8.25

b-suth

NAXJA Forum User
Finished the front gears late this evening and let me just say that was the biggest PITA for the least amount of results! 10 hours of work, and the front driveshaft is laying in the back of the jeep, until I can get the rear done. It is going to be a long week of waiting for another chance to get it all done.

Now that I have that off of my chest, all in all, it was very interesting/frustrating/educational all at the same time. I researched this upgrade extensively, but couldn't visualize it all until there were pieces of axle laying all over the place.

I am hoping that the setup on the 8.25 goes better/quicker than today. We had to pull the carrier four times to find the right shims. I have been told that adjusting backlash on the 8.25 is a bit easier, as it can be done while inside the housing? Am I correct in this assumption?

Also are there any special tools needed to setup the rear? I am looking for any excuse to pitch to the wife to justify new tools. :)

I welcome any suggestions/advice in this endeavor

TIA, Boyd

sweet! what ratio did you go with?

All right here's the deal with the 8.25. it seems as though you ahve never seen the inside of one before. Remember in the dana 30 the shims for backlash were in between the carrier and bearings, requiring you to pull adn press the bearing on repeatedly. The 8.25 adjsuts backlash just as a ford 9" They are screw type things that press against each bearing(not sure of the proper term) All you have to do is twist them to set backlash and preload, very simple if you have the right tool to adjust them, and yes it all stays in the carrier. I didn't use the right tool though (not even sure that that's called either). I took a little piece of metal and put two little prongs on them to fit into the outter holes which allows you to wrench them around. Once you see the piece you'll know what I'm talking about. If you already have all the tools for the dana 30 install.....that's the only thing I can think of right now that you will need extra.
Me and my buddy did a set up of these in about 2 hours (2nd time with his 8.25, after he ripped the gear teeth apart from trying to peel out with 36" TSL's on dry pavement. Smart man I must say. That would be Peterbuilt, who isn't around here too much anymore.) _nicko_

b-suth said:
I went with 4.10's, as I figure I'll only be running 31's. Ha ha ha......

:cool:

sweet man! I think i might go 4.10s too...decisions decisions

8.25 backlash tool...

Boyd,

I have the chrysler tool at home, when I get out of work I'll snap a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like, especially the business end of it.

Here's the url, www.stayvertical.com, after like 6:00 pm tonite

I bought gears, tools, etc.. to do the same thing as you're doing, but have not had time to do it.

Mike

Mine had both the holes(for a spanner wrench) and a 1 7/16" hex.I just welded a nut on the end of a piece of square tubing.It will fit past the axle seals.

I found a pipe bushing (looks like a great big hex bolt with the middle drilled out) that was almost the exact size of the adjuster at Home Depot (I had to slightly grind down the sides to get it to the exact size). I welded it to a long piece of 1/2" allthread and ran two 1/2" nuts on the other end (jam nuts) so I could turn the adjuster from the end of the axle tube with a 3/4" socket. In retrospect, I would have used a pin spanner or a punch and hammer to (tap) turn the adjusters from inside the case. It's sort of a pain to keep the long adjuster tool from slipping off the adjuster from the end of the axle tube.
Good luck!

hey b-suth, what are the biggest things too look out when doing this? oh, and it might already have been mentioned, but were the gears new? did youget install kits?

hjeepxj--

I went with Yukon gears from Randy's R&P. After calling around to all the major distributors, they had the best price. I went with the complete overhaul kit, as my rig has 165k on it. Glad I did, simply for the peace of mind.

The biggest problem we had ( besides the usual try and retry w/ gear setup) was the rust underneath the vehicle. My arms are still aching from using the slide hammer to pull the shafts out--rust frozen at the flange.

I suggest PB blaster on all bolts that you need to remove for a few days before. I have broken more bolts than I care to admit.

I would also suggest doing an inspection on your u-bolts while you have the shafts out--easy change to make

b-suth said:
hjeepxj--

I went with Yukon gears from Randy's R&P. After calling around to all the major distributors, they had the best price. I went with the complete overhaul kit, as my rig has 165k on it. Glad I did, simply for the peace of mind.

The biggest problem we had ( besides the usual try and retry w/ gear setup) was the rust underneath the vehicle. My arms are still aching from using the slide hammer to pull the shafts out--rust frozen at the flange.

I suggest PB blaster on all bolts that you need to remove for a few days before. I have broken more bolts than I care to admit.

I would also suggest doing an inspection on your u-bolts while you have the shafts out--easy change to make

thanks for the lookouts...how much did you pay for all that stuff? i am thinking of getting some 4.10s from a guy on pirate...what was the stuff that you mostly needed out of the overhual kit? I bet I can get that stuff cheap from napa or something, with out havingto spend the 40$ (im cheap) on the over hual kit...

I have dissasembled a dana 30 before, the shafts are hard as hel! to get out...took a whole lot of wedging and prying...

I paid $612 w/ shipping to my door. That included everything for the front and rear. You can probably pick up most of the parts at Autozone (I know they carry Timken bearings, which is what came with my o/h kit) or napa, maybe even a little cheaper

b-suth said:
I paid $612 w/ shipping to my door. That included everything for the front and rear. You can probably pick up most of the parts at Autozone (I know they carry Timken bearings, which is what came with my o/h kit) or napa, maybe even a little cheaper

hell yeah man, thanks alot!

im hoping to tackle this project before I go to moab the 3rd of june, along with my detroit ;)

Back