• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Skyjacker Lifts

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy in my club is passing me over a used Skyjacker lift (for an XJ), it's either a 3.5 inch or a 4 inch. It has the leaf packs and the coils and probably other assorted goodies. He says it flexes really well but I don't know much about Skyjacker. I'm getting it really cheap so what do you guys think, good stuff or crap? I think someone said the control arm bushings really suck, that they are like metal on metal or something?

Thanks! :D

I have a Skyjacker 3.5 inch lift with AAL. I like it overall. Here are my thoughts on the components:

Front Springs: A little on the stiff side, but not harsh once broken in and because they're stiffer I can corner pretty good and have better stability lifted than I did stock.
LCA's: I have poly LCA bushings. If you get their flex series it comes with heims on each end, which are metal on metal. The LCA's I have are straight and fat and prevent droop at a certain point. The flex series LCA's would flex better but would be less comfy on the street. I don't like my LCA's and will replace them soon.
Trac-bar relocating bracket: Throw it away, it works better without it.
Rear Springs: I have the AAL, not the pack. The AAL is stiff but hasn't sagged yet in 3 years. Flexes ok, would be better if I had the right type of spring clamps on it like a full spring pack should come with.

They suck!:D Dont get the 8" Rock Ready kit, it def sucks, been there done that! The leafs flex real nice and hold there shape (kept those off of the lift). Sold everything else that I didnt need. Jeff CamoXJ

If it's not their RR kits, they're fine. Skyjacker makes high quality suspensions, the springs, heims, etc are high grade. Their problem is their RR kits are poorly designed, they bind terribly, the use of heims doesn't allow any flex so their axle trusses or your axle itself break under the stress. It's getting to where I don't know a person who's bought a RR kit that hasn't broken it. If you're just getting a 4" kit and you're getting it cheap you'll be doing well. You'll be pleased with it. They do ride soft.

The Rock Ready kits aren't the topic here, but I know a guy locally who runs the sub-frame and loves it. I'm planning on getting a sub-frame eventually and making my own arms for it. I'd stay away from the axle cradle that comes with the 8" though as stated above, I've heard nothing but bad about it.

Crimsonride- I'm assuming you are talking about the 8" kit. I've heard of people having problems with the front axle cradle, and I'm assuming that is what you had a problem with. I run the subframe and arms (my arms have poly bushings at the frame end), and I have no problems with bind. The limiting factor on my front suspension is my steering and my shocks. I use all 12"s of shock travel with out the skyjacker parts even coming close to binding. I've abused the parts severly and never had a problem. I think the SJ stuff I use is very well built and works very well.

TB- I'd say get the parts, especially if you get a good deal on them.

Marcus

FYI- xj92 and others, normal length UCAs from a most companies will work with the Subframe. My upper arms are RE arms.

Back