• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheapest winch mountable bumper

Homemade

I just finished my front bumper and for very close to $100 I have a 3"x6" rectangular section front bumper that has a 2" receiver in it for my portable winch, light tabs, and holds 4 gal of compressed air for my OBA.

If you do not want home made do a search for bumpers and you can find a load of opinions and sources for what you need.

Michael

What is your time frame speed. I have a fab shop and will be moving to West Palm (from Colorado) in a couple of months.

2xtreme,

1. Did you 'bend' your bumper to the shape of your jeep, or did you leave it straight across?
2. How did you tie it in to the frame? (Assuming you didn't just use the stock bumper mounts.)
3. Any pics you can post?
4. What gauge metal (thickness of 3x6 rectangular tubing) did you use? What would hold up well for mounting a winch?

I'm hoping to get mine built over the xmas holidays. thanks for your input.

Dave

90xjDave and others- I can share some diagrams and dimensions, via the "back-channel" ( email ) to save some bandwith here at the NAXJA forum of a excellent cost-effective custom-built front winch bumper by Borton-If you have some access to a welder and a good steel supply you are good to go !
I purchased about $42.00 dollars(..not $200.00..! ) in materials for 5"inch X 2"inch-3/16" rectangluar box mild steel as opposed to something commercially available for $200.-$400.00 dollars-
BILLXJ

BILLXJ said:
90xjDave and others- I can share some diagrams and dimensions, via the "back-channel" ( email ) to save some bandwith here at the NAXJA forum of a excellent cost-effective custom-built front winch bumper by Borton-If you have some access to a welder and a good steel supply you are good to go !
I purchased about $42.00 dollars(..not $200.00..! ) in materials for 5"inch X 2"inch-3/16" rectangluar box mild steel as opposed to something commercially available for $200.-$400.00 dollars-
BILLXJ

I have a buddy whos a welder professionally, mind sending me those?

bpifab.com

Olympic at Quadratec.

I bought the olympic front winch bumper in rubicon black from quadratec. It ran something like $369. Easy bolt into existing frame mounts and uses existing stock hardware. Hold's my warn m8000 nicely.

90xjDave said:
2xtreme,

1. Did you 'bend' your bumper to the shape of your jeep, or did you leave it straight across?
2. How did you tie it in to the frame? (Assuming you didn't just use the stock bumper mounts.)
3. Any pics you can post?
4. What gauge metal (thickness of 3x6 rectangular tubing) did you use? What would hold up well for mounting a winch?

I'm hoping to get mine built over the xmas holidays. thanks for your input.

Dave

I used 3" x 6" x 3/16th thick for the bumper. The mounts to the frame are 1/4" thick and are bolted all the way back to include the steering box bolts (6 bolts on each side). I cut each section and welded each section together and then ground them smooth. Cut the center whole for the 2" receiver in the middle and drilled and taped two air quick release valves (one to hook up to my A/C pump and the other to connect a air hose to). I also welded on two tow strap swivle eye's and two light mount tabs. Eventually I will weld on some grill and light guards, but for now it will remain this way.

101659106RBejpz_ph.jpg

I do not have any photos of it installed completed yet but you can view the other photos here:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=98404358

Back