• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what skid plates do I need, where to buy?

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 90 xj 5" lift 31 inch MTR Tires

What are the most important skid plates I need

What are reasonable prices? place to buy

Are any ever sold used?

Welcome to the world of XJ's!
When I bought my 91, I went to a junk yard and found one with the factory skids, cheap. T-case skid and gas tank skid are the ones I got.
If you do a search here, you'll find lot's of good sugestions for after market skids. Differential guards and rockrail protection are important, I believe.
HTH,
T:D

Everyone has their own opinion... Personally, I think rock rails, front bumper, and then rear bumper. I know those have saved me a lot more then they cost.

I went with Tomken but I don't think the brand is that important.

MO:

1. Tcase
2. Rock Rails
3. Diffs
4. Gas Tank
5. Engine Skid

I agree with the stock ones being a good opton (especially gas tank)

Skid Row is good for Tcase ones too, a little price though.

Rock Rails: Personal Preferance, AJ, ORGS, Rocky Road, Tomken

For diffs, Rockrings are cool, as are challenger type tubular style guards.

Skid row is the only Engine one as far as I know.

Not the first to thing I would get but LCA skids, cheep ($20 or $30) and will keep your front axle mounts in line. Also a quick install if you or a friend can weld.

minisk3.jpg

There are a few diffrent types out there but here is ORGS Mini Skids Web page

Not that I'm pushing Rusty's equipment but this article shows the vast difference between an aftermarket TC skid and the Mopar TC skid.

http://rustysoffroad.com/article_crossmember.html

You draw your own conclusions.

Although I'm fairly new to offroading, it just seems to make the most sense to me to protect the TC before the rockers. If you smash in the TC it becomes a lot more expensive to fix. Besides, if you smash in the rockers, then you have a great excuse to upgrade to the nice rocker replacements made from 3/16" steel. :D

On the other hand, if you smash in the TC you have an excuse to upgrade to an Atlas and get that nice 4:1 ratio :D :D

Hey lapaul,

I have a factory t-case skid that you can have for...nothing. Where in LA are you? I'm gonna be up at the Universal Citywalk for lunch around 1-3 pm this Saturday. Let me know if you wanna meet up somewhere.

Take off the skid plates you have makes it easier to work on it. I took my front skid plate off it did shit. I hit and the stump bent the skid plate up 3inches didn't do. the gas tank skid is the only one I need it's bent to hell now but works great!

T-case Skid-Rustys 99.00
Engine Skid-Rustys 159.00
Gas Tank Skid-Skid Row 175.00
LCA Skids-ORGS or Kevins Offroad- 15-25.00
Rockers-Take your pick of them.

On mine I have LCA skids from ORGS, Rustys t-case skid, Skid Row Gas tank skid. and some rockers from XJ-Armour and that I waiting to get. Had Olympic rockers, didn't do much for me, bent them into the rocker panal.
Juice

So does anyone use the LCA Skids from Skid Row?
At over $110 for them, and looks like it would be a little heavy.
sp-arm5.jpg

The only positive I can think is you don't need to weld them on, at least for the people that have no way to get there hands on a welder

Letterman said:
So does anyone use the LCA Skids from Skid Row?
At over $110 for them, and looks like it would be a little heavy.

IMHO: Thats too much $$...You can make them for way less than that...

And I see your in CA, theres probably someone around there who would weld those biatches on there for yah'

in order...

rock rails - I had C 4x4's and I loved them, I now have tubing welded in where my rockers once were.

engine skid - Rustys, I still use it, have had the entire weight of the Jeep on it and it works real well, only problem is changing fluids but remove 4 bolts and it drops right down. I'd buy rustys again.

T-Case - Rusty's, again for the above reasons

forget the controll arm skids

Gas tank - never had one, prob never will, I just live with the 10 or so gal that it'll take now that it's smashed in.

I really like the Rusty's stuff/skids, nice product good price.

LCA skids would by no means be at the top of my list, but I would put them on there. For the price, they help a lot. I made mine just by cutting some 3/16" steel and welding it on (about $2). I've taken out 2 LCA brackets in the past, once in a wreck and once when I was off-roading and hit a rock hard with my front diff. The skids re-inforce the mounts for stuff like that along with them getting in the way of rocks directly.

Back