• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What drivetrain combo came in an '86?

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking for tranny and t-case type. This would be for an 86, with a 2.5L and 4.10 gearing(D30/D35). I was told that it is the AW-4 and NP231. Is this correct?

Also, is the engine carb or TBI? Asking because the XJ is a bit far from me right now, as in another state, and I can't look for myself.

Thanks for the info.

Fergie

If it's an auto, it's probably a TF727. The AW4 wasn't introduced until 1987, and was installed behind the 4.0 only. The AW4 was never found behind the four cylinder.

Also, you might want to remember that the 2.5 (nominal) is more properly referred to as the 2.46 - to differentiate it from the popular GM "Iron Duke" engine. The AMC engine used in the XJ is a derivation of the 4.2L inline six cylinder engine, and shares many parts in common - while it shares none with any other "2.5L" I4.

I can't swear to it, but I also believe the early I4's were carburetted, and might have had the NP207 case (which is also a guess....)

5-90

My 86 Larado has a 2.5l, ax-5 5 speed stick, np-207 and is TBI with 4.11 gears. I saw an 86 Pioneer at Moab with a 2.5l, TBI and it had a 4 speed stick, don't know what kind stick.

86's were TBI.....

The auto was a Torque Flight. 904 or 999 or was it 727? Not sure but I can find out. The t/case was a 207. The AX-4 and AX-5 and the T-5 were all used in the early xj's.

Did they ever use the 904 with the 228 t case in the 4 bangers or was that a V6 only thing?
The 228 would have a "full time" selection on the shifter and a non disco axle while the 207 wouldn't have "full time" and it would have a disco axle.
Mike B.

1986xj said:
Did they ever use the 904 with the 228 t case in the 4 bangers or was that a V6 only thing?
The 228 would have a "full time" selection on the shifter and a non disco axle while the 207 wouldn't have "full time" and it would have a disco axle.
Mike B.

I'm not certain it's a 904, but I have an '84 Wagoneer 4-cyl auto here with the Selec-Trac transfer case. I haven't checked the tag to find out if it's a 228 or a 229, but it's not the 207. They did use the Selec-Trac with the 4-banger, if that's what's worrying you.

No worrying here :D Just filling my head with lots of useless information instead of sleeping :rolleyes:
So from what I gather.... to answer the original question The 86 in question should be TBI and should have the 904 (don't think the 909 which is the 904 with lock up converter.... not used till 87 or 88 I think), and either a 207 (Commandtrac)(will have disco axle), or a 228 (Selectrac)(non disco) (maybe 229 but supposedly all 86's had the 228)...
Oh if you have interior pics.... there will be a 2wd/4wd Mode switch on the console behind the gear selector if it is the 228.
Of course remember it IS a Jeep so anything is possible, and since it's an 86 which was the last AMC year sometimes they put spare parts which were laying around in or say if the tcase went bad the dealer might have put in a 229 in place of the 228 ect....
Mike B.

Looked in the FSM this morning......

86xj is dead on about it being the 904. The only auto in the 84-86 XJ "should" be a 904. The FSM also list that the 228 and 229 were used behind the 904.

This is great info guys, I appreciate it. I was very confused when the owner told me it had the 2.5L, and an AW-4 and NP231. This makes me suspect on the rest of the vehicle.

He has said that the fron is a disco axle, and that the XJ is command trac. If that helps at all.

Thanks

Fergie

Well, that's possible, too -- but for 1986 Command-Trac was an NP207 with a disconnect axle.

red87cherokee said:
That's news to me and most other '87 AMC Jeep Cherokee owners.

Did Chrysler still use the AMC emblems & stickers on the 87's? Chrysler bought AMC in 87, put the 4.0 in the XJ's..... the general consensus is that the XJ's sold so well and the profit margin on them was decent enough that they pretty much saved Chrysler from going out of business. Maybe some of the early 87's (built in 86) still got the left over AMC emblems and AMC stamped stickers, emmisions labels, and such?
Mike B.

1986xj said:
Did Chrysler still use the AMC emblems & stickers on the 87's? Chrysler bought AMC in 87, put the 4.0 in the XJ's..... the general consensus is that the XJ's sold so well and the profit margin on them was decent enough that they pretty much saved Chrysler from going out of business. Maybe some of the early 87's (built in 86) still got the left over AMC emblems and AMC stamped stickers, emmisions labels, and such?
Mike B.
The State of Oregon's Title thinks it was made by AMC, so I have to assume that the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) was from AMC. The Owner's manual is from AMC. The warranty is/was AMC. The recommended parts are "AMC/Renault/Jeep". The sticker on the driver's side door, the emission's sticker under the hood, and the tire inflation sticker inside the glove box all say "Jeep Corporation" with the AMC logo. Not a sign anywhere of "Chrysler" - not by name or logo.

EDIT

According to:

http://www.amxfiles.com/amc/xj.html

"The new six cylinder was a 4.0l (242 cid) inline, Throttle-Body Injected engine. This engine, aside from being much more powerful and reliable than the V-6, was the last true AMC engine, based on the 2.5l four."

and

"Sales of the Cherokee and Commanche took off in 1987; unfortunately, AMC had already agreed to the merger with Chrysler."

and, regarding the in-line 6:

http://www.cbi-web.org/chrysler_225.html

". . . It ain't a Chrysler six, it's an AMC six . . . "

and concerning the transfer of ownership of Jeep from AMC to Chrysler:

http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/history/

"AMC-Jeep® Eagle Sold To Chrysler Corperation 8-5-87"

Considering that the model year usually changes in September or October, this would mean that virtually all 1987 model year XJ's were manufactured/sold by AMC. And, to the best of my knowledge, my 1987 AMC Jeep Cherokee came with the AMC 4.0 L engine.

Last edited:
1986xj said:
Mike B.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I keep seeing references to '87 being the year Chrysler took over. In fact, one of the magazines just printed that again in the new issue (Jp Magazine, I think). The deal might have been negotiated in 1987, but it was not finalized in 1987. I took delivery of a new 1988 Cherokee Pioneer in the last week of January, 1988. ALL paperwork said AMC/Jeep, the warranty was the AMC/Jeep one year/12,000 mile warranty, and every badge on the vehicle said either "Jeep" or "AMC/Jeep."

Based on when I began having to deal with Chrysler crappy service reps for warranty issue, I'd say the effective date of the take-over was actually March or April of 1988.

Oh -- and Chrysler did not put the 4.0 in the XJ. The 4.0 was a derivative of an AMC engine dating back to 1964, updated with an AMC/Renault/Bendix head and fuel injection system. Chrysler had nothing to do with that -- it was already in place when they took over.

AMC history lessons ??

OK OK OK OK OK, geesh.... I only assumed (big mistake) that since I have only read about 200 times or so from reputable sources that Chrysler finalized the purchase of AMC/Jeep in 1987. That said, during most takeovers of this type are at least a year in transition and I assumed (big mistake) that the Chrysler engineering dept. had been involved in the development of the 4.0 since that was going to require retooling of the assymbly line which they were buying, I kinda thought too that it was more than a coincidence that the YJ was introduced not too long before all this happened. I just didn't think that the whole AMC - Chysler thing happened overnight. But from what Eagle is saying I guess my ASSumptions were wrong. There really should be a complete and thourough XJ history article in the members spec/tech area, there is really a lot of bad or incomplete info out there on the web which misled me, ....I nominate Eagle to be in charge of that project (-:

Funny thing... MD thinks my 86 is a JEEP not an AMC... NY thought the same thing, my 69CJ5 and 71 C101 are listed as Jeep, not Kaiser I guess each state has there own little differences on their titles though.

Oh and you guys really don't need to get so reactive over whether your XJ is an AMC or a Chrysler... we'll still love you even if it is an AMC :loveu: And ya know really Kaiser was really the best parent Co Jeep ever had :moon: (remember AMC made the Pacer, Gremlin, Hornet) Sorry but I had to mention them (-:
Way off topic...
Mike B.

SV1CEC has an '84 in Greece -- his gummint thinks it's a Renault! :eek::scared:

You want history?

Let me refer you to exibit one!

285800Xjspy.JPG

Oh and the copywright in my 88 sales brochier is listed to "Jeep Corporation." Nothing about Chrysler. And it does reference "American Motors (Canada) Inc." too.

That front end looks like an 80's Chrysler car. :puke: Guess it was the influence of the Renault cutting edge, high stylin, design dept. :scared:
Mike B.

Back