• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balancer Pully?!?!?!

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
Heard a flapping sound from the XJ today so i looked to see what it was. It seems as though the balancer pully has rubber assembled in it for dampening and it is coming apart and thus hitting the fan.

Anybody have just the pully do that or should I expect more problems? Also the belt seems fine.
It is a 4.0 with 160,000
thanks

Dan

That's a reasonably common failure.

You really do want to get that fixed quickly. A pully running out of alignment is a fast way to destroy a belt.

In addition, if the pully "walks" back towards the engine, it can take out the timing chain cover.

It's OEMR (that's pretty much the easiest place to get it) and isn't all that much different, costwise, from anything else. Besides, your local dealer should have one on the shelf.

You will want to get a balancer puller (works with the threaded holes in the hub of the pully) and you will NEED to get your hands on a balancer installer - you should be able to beg or borrow one without too much difficulty (in a pinch, buying one would be less than the damper anyhow.) You can cheat (if you really have to!) with a 1/2" threaded bolt (I can't remember if it's 1/2-12 or 1/2-20, and I'm thinking the latter) and some nuts and washers - and a little grease. You're better off with a proper installer, tho.

The only trouble is actually getting to the thing - but it's doable without taking everything to bits! I've done it a couple times.

NOTE - maje sure you do not shear the key in the crank nose! No sense in causing any trouble in anything else. A little grease on the crank nose before slipping the balancer pully on is also a help.

5-90

or definatley time to replace the balancer... i had the one on my 99 replaced last month.... one thing to note when buying a new one... Eagle pointed out that the 4.0L had a oil-slinger ring on the snout of the crank INSIDE the front cover, behind the seal... they had this "slinger" until like 1999 or 2000 when its use was dicontinued.. it seems the only balancer available from DC now is the new-style that DOES NOT have any provisions for a slinger inside the cover and installation requires REMOVING the slinger.... mine was replaced under warrantee by the dealer but they were aware of what i was asking about and assured me the re-conditioned 1996 engine they installed had the proper modifications... there may be more OR less to this story but i trust EAGLE's info.... the dealer parts counter WILL have the correct info.. it's just a matter of how informed they are and if they know where to look when you ask them... there is a chance that ADVANCE AUTO or NAPA will list the older style... i have not researched this much myself .........
food for thought
mike

So do I have to replace the balancer or can I just buy the pully? AZ lists the balancer for my XJ but I cant find anyone with the pully. Is this an OEM only part? I read mixed opinions on how many miles is too many on the original dampener.

Thanks

You didn't say what year your XJ is, but be advised that somewhere around 99 or '00 DCX made a change. The old 4.0 has an oil slinger on the crankshaft inside the timing chain cover. The new style does not, and the harmonic balancer is different to accomodate that.

DCX, in its wisdom, has discontinued the old style damper and superceded the part number to the new one, so that's all you can get from a dealer. Problem is, there's a footnote -- to use it, you have to remove the timing cover and discard the oil slinger.

Crown Auto Parts still sells the old style. More than likely, if you get it from Auto Zone or Advance or Checker/Kragen/Schucks you'll also get the old style.

I just went through this 2 days ago....big footnote..... remove the large wahser on the front of the harmonic balancer (vibration dampner) before attaching the vibration dampner puller. It tends not to work very well that way. The washer was siliconed to the balancer, therefore it didn't come off with the bolt and I (not paying attention and just screwed the puller on) stripped out the puller in the process! :p (AutoZone rent-a-tool). I also had problems getting it back on and I believe I bought a longer 1/2-20 bolt to get the balancer started back on. It is advisable to replace the belt as well while you are there. I tried to get a seal, but I believe it is a dealer only part, hence not open on the weekend and needed it fixed for Monday commute! Also make sure to lube both the pully and seal with fresh oil so that hopefully it won't leak.

Also the rent a tool from autozone didn't come with any bolts to fit the front of the Vibration dampner and you will need (3) 5/16"x2" bolts and some washers to make it work!!!

To be on the safe side open the puller and dampner in the store and you'll see what I am talking about!

Well, All done. Got the part from NAPA for $55 n it took about 3.5 hrs because the XJ had a class 3 hitch on the front of it that was there when I bought it and untill now I never minded it. The thing was on there like and exact fit puzzle piece and took alot of time to get off. Anyways, done now. We'll see tomorrow if it leaks or blows up or something.

thanks for all the help

Dan

Back