• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Cluster Swap w. Column Shift A/T

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Been reading all the great how-to advice on swapping "idiot light" instrument clusters with full gauge/tach clusters and it didn't sound too difficult. So I bought my new full gauge cluster and oil pressure/temp sending units, and started to proceed. My Comanche has an auto tranny, column mounted shifter and the shift needle indicator is directly under the big gas gauge built into the cluster. This needle indicator is connected to the column shift with what looks like a nylon cord going into the sterering column. How do I disconnect the A/T indicator, and it looks like my replacement cluster will have to have the cutout for the shift indicator. Of course, the full gauge cluster I bought does not have this cutout. Stupid; I should have thought of this. So, do I need to find a new cluster from a column-mounted A/T shift Cherokee or Comanche or is there any way I can use the one I have? Sure looks like I can't since going into the cluster and changing out the face plates won't help since the tach will take the place of the big gas gauge after the cluster swap. Advice will be appreciated!

I don't have a column cluster - but the cluster is easily disassembled, and the plastic and face plate are removable so you should be able to swap in the indicator.

I did this on my MJ, just forgot about the indicator. Been driving sticks all my life (this is first auto tranny for myself), so counting clicks or going by feel is no big problem. Even the Mrs. has figured out to make it work......

Have to keep the indicator - Just know Mama will throw it into reverse thinking it's in drive and create bad consequenses. Or maybe even myself after a brew or two. I'm sure I can make the indicator work once I get the two clusters side-by-side, removing it intact is the prob. Was hoping someone had done this 'cause my manuel says nothing about column shifts and shift indicators. Guess I'll have to get into the column and see how to disconnect the damn thing because I want the gauges.

Ajax auto in CA has gauge clusters with the gear indicators on them. They are out of government cherokees. Go to Ajaxauto.com, they are the Cherokee parts masters.

Thanks Faux. Did a search on their page with negative results, but sent an email inquiring if they had one. Thanks for your help -hope they have one. Still have to figure out how to get it out and replace intact however.

I just called them up, and they said they have some. And it would be 150.00 shipped to AL.
You might want to try their 800 #, I know they don't like to type that much there, so I do not know how quick they reply to email.

They said they were out of like border patrol cherokees, and they have a column shift.

I do not know if you can waqlk around there. But those Govt. jeeps are supposed to be the nice, no speed limiter, or rev limiter. I think they said the spedo goes to like 130.

Back