• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping BA 10 for AX 15

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
What type of problems will I run into on this swap. Will I have to change the input shaft of my t case, or willl I have to ghange Tcase all together. I belive it is an NP231 but not sure. How can I tell for sure what it is, where are the ## or vin plate on the T Case, axles, and tranny.

Later, Heath:confused:

You may try a search, but from my expierience you will need a 23 slpine input t case (either just the input or the whole case). You will also need the t case shift linkage from the ax-15. The tranny isolator is different but i think the croos member is the same.
As a side note if the ax-15 is from a yj you can have a short shift if you keep the tower from the yj and just put the chero shaft on it.

Cross member is the same but I think you have to relocate it to the alternate set of mounting holes. This will require removing and reinstalling two studs if you want to make it OEM-like.

you have quite a few options, since you have a peugeot you have a 21 spline Input gear on the Transfer case, lets look at the options you have:-
1) You can get an AX-15 from an 89-91 (not sure when they changed to a 23 spline, i guess 91-93), that will work with you existing TC and since you have an internal clutch slave you can save some money.
2) Get an Ax-15 from 93 and Up, and you will also need the External slave cylinder and a 23 spline TC input gear or for the money involved just get a TC from a Junkyard.
I just did this swap last month, i got a 96 AX-15, and a 23 spline TC from a 92 cherokee, also needed a TC shift linkage. I used my stock crossmember, modified the Peugeot tranny mount. Also, my crossmember is in the same place as it was before did not have to move it back by 4 inches as this article suggests:-
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/gears/trannyswap/trannyswap.html

If you have any more questions feel free to email me at [email protected].

Ravi

Back