• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ tired of peeling paint! Want DIY! Help!

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
I love my 92 XJ but again/still peeling paint is pissing me off!(Hood & roof) Lots still good but is there a good spray can, decent DIY fix? Don't want the MaAco expense if possible. As long as I can make it look decent dor a few more years cheap. Heinz

I mask off the vehicle where appropriate, AFTER I clean it and tackcloth it, then I primer it, let that dry then I rattle can it with rustoleum.

It'll look ok for a few years.

Rust will show back through it if you don't use POR-15.

I just painted half of my XJ for $9.00

3 cans of silver metallic rustoleum.

Did from the top line of the stripe down to rockers.

Looks better than it did.

Rust is starting to show through, just wanted to stop some of it before I can strip it, por-15 it and truck bed coat it in the spring.

Teron

You can rattlecan fix it for now but the problem will persist. The cause is bad e-coat priner which all the manufacturers suffered with in the early 90's. The only "cure" is to sand down, reprime and repaint. Big $$$$. Sorry to not have better news. The whole thing cost the Big Three tens of Millions. Ford even had a recall for the f150.

Back