• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Upgrade??

GoalPoster

NAXJA Forum User
I do most of my driving at night. My 98 XJ is completely stock (at least for now) but I'd like to upgrade my headlights to something a tad brighter.

Any suggestions.

And, my fog light switch has taken the high-jump on me. I need to replace it. Anyone know of something cheaper than the stealership?

SUmmit Racing has Glass Denji (OEM in Japan) H4 conversion lights for $19 EACH (sold as "Matrix"). I have them with PIAA 85W H4 Xenon bulbs and am VERY pleased.

Thanks . . . I've got a line on both of these items. I reviewed the website and the pictures show the increased brightness.

Now, if I could just get that switch!!!!

www.rallylights.com

I got my headlamp upgrades from Susquehanna Motorsports in PA (url above) for about $40 each.

Hella Vision Plus upgrades are good, Hella E-codes are better. If you don't spend a lot of time in the dark or don't feel like doing electrical work, I suggest the Ecode reflector with the 55W/80W Hella bulbs - will set you back about $95 all told, IIRC. That's the setup I used on my wife's 89 XJ.

For anything stronger than that, you will need to add a relay block, a fuze block, and make a harness for wiring the lights (oddly enough, heavy-duty 12/3 rubber jacket extension cord is best for this) which will allow you to break 80W without worries. I'm running Ecodes with, I think, 100W/140W bulbs (I have to check anyhow - time to order spares.)

The purpose of the relay block is twofold - you are taking a great load off of the OEMR switch (or you'll go thru them like popcorn) and you are shortening the power path to the bulbs so they get more power. The fuze block is because you are no longer in circuit with the underdash fuze anymore. I can give you tips for the harness backchannel if you want - I've not done a writeup yet.

I am, as you can see, a Hella freak - I prefer their lighting over pretty much anyone elses (borne of about 20 years' experience.) SMS is a full-line Hella dealer, and they have excellent pricing for the line.

I think Painless Performance and Turbo City have drop-in harnesses for high-power headlamps, but they are (again, I think) about $80 for the kit, and I built mine with about $30 in parts. It depends on what you are inclined to do.

All prices are, of course, in US$. Apply exchange rate as appropriate.

5-90

I'll second the e-codes from Susquehanna Motorsports. I live on an unmaintained dirt road and these have held up remarkably well over the years.

Auto zone sell these and i used the blue halogens. BIG difference.
faeed951.jpg

I have been an E-Code H4 headlamp fan for about four years (and have converted my daughter's car & mom's truck) We have Hella lenses, but for my birthday a few weeks ago, I bought a set of IPF H4 lenses, an 'upgrade' harness, and a pair of halogen 145/90w IPF bulbs. I can't wait to get them installed in my DD.

The upgrade harness is probably more effective in older Jeeps, where corrosion and degradation of the OEM wiring has occured. I made my own for the MJ, but this time I wussed out and went for the IPF "plug & play" dealie.

My past experience has found the IPF J bulbs to be about equal to Hella 100/80w halogen in 'perceived' performance...but at three+ times the cost of the Hellas ($ 75/pr vs 22/pr, shipped). The J's lasted about 1 year, but I normally get somewhat less than that out of the Hella bulbs. The advantage (supposedly) from 'exotic gas mix' bulbs like the IPF J and Hella Xenon is one gets light output equivalent to a higher wattage bulb...without the extra current draw that the more powerful bulbs demand.

I :dunno: about those Auto Zone lenses...it appears that the reflector inside has facets as opposed to the cut crystal lens' of the Hella or IPF. If they work well for ya and don't blind oncoming traffic, then I guess you are on to something.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's Lighting Research Center has done a bunch of tests on OEM style lighting, and there are a pile of SAE papers written to show for it. Very good reading with lots of insight

www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/transportation/index.asp

While these experiments didn't offer a direct comparison between 'Brand A' and 'Brand B' they offer up some comparison between HID and halogen...using existing european spec (E-Code) lens designs. I would like to see an objective test of the different brands of bulbs...to see what is smoke & mirrors, but until then, I'll stick with respected brand-name products.

FWIW most of my night driving is done on unlit rural roads, where distance as well as periphial illumination is important (lots of deer). NC is using a lot of reflective thermoplastic roadway striping (better than paint with glass beads) as well as reflectors along the centerline...so 'seeing the road' isn't as much an issue as seeing the beasts. On our (few) roads lacking reflectors, the focused light output and e-code's wide low beam pattern is appreciated. I don't drive my Jeep at uber-legal speeds, so getting further advance warning of road hazards helps my reaction time.

What lights are those? I don't think I've seen that lense pattern before...

They're just the headlight replacement cases from Auto Zone. They put out alot more light than sealed beam lights.

Why the blue lights?

I know, the blues are everywhere, but I think they really make a difference over the amber halogens. And they're not as blue as you might think. These bulbs aren't the expensive blue ones, just the $4.00 cheapies. They're actually more white than blue, but they make a difference none the less.

If they work well for ya and don't blind oncoming traffic, then I guess you are on to something.

I don't get any flashing by other drivers, so they must not be too bad. But I adjusted the lenses after install to keep it more friendly to other drivers. Sure is a big difference, low and high beams.

pec50 said:
I'll second the e-codes from Susquehanna Motorsports. I live on an unmaintained dirt road and these have held up remarkably well over the years.

I concur with the Hella E code lights and Susquehanna. I did my conversion about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. Plus SM is a great place to deal with.

5-90 said:
Sierra Vista - is that Northern AZ or Southern? Just wondering - looking at moving out to Flag/William/Ash Fork or thereabouts myself in a couple years. Once I finish here at De Anza, it's time to transfer to NAU/Flag...

5-90
Sorry Vista is South East AZ, Flagstaff is central-northen central of state near Phoenix. Lots of mountains :D

Yeah - Flag's up off I-40, and Phoenix/Tuscon are just too damn hot for me. I've been to Flag at all times of the year and just love it, so that's where I'll finish school, and that's whereabout I'll build.

Doesn't mean you Southern 'Zonies can't come up and visit, of course...

5-90

the best thing i did was to put relays for full voltage to the lights. it was about 11.4 volts now 14.5 volts a large increase in light.

I installed the IPF's with the majic J bulbs a month or two ago and I couldn't be happier, even though I haven't done the wiring upgrade...yet. I guess I could be happier then!

In any event, a picture is worth a thousand words:
before:

headlights 0021.jpg

After:
headlights 0041.jpg

GoalPoster,

If National4WD is not already on your list of vendors for IPF or Hella -- check them out, they are in Burlington(905).

Always seem to have good prices. They generally have the IPF in stock, and they can order the Hella pretty quick.

I have the IPF lenses. One lense has a Magic-J, and one has a plain-jane GE/Sylvania halogen(Crappy Tire). Although, the Magic bulb puts out a whiter light, I'm not convinced that it's actually brighter. Dropping CAD$120 on the Magic bulbs IMHO is not worth the benefit. Save your money for the wife and XMAS (i.e. less ALPO :puke:, more fun :party1: )

I'm still using the stock harness BTW.

As some have said, and you may have read, a headlight upgrade IS the best mod to an XJ.

Back