• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She loves me?,she loves me not.....

climbon

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, here I go. I have a 99 XJ w/98k on her that is not a daily driver for a year now. Ever since it started sitting in my garage I have had problems with it starting, yes I do get it out and drive it up the canyons for a day drive once a week. I have a brand new red optima battery and have had the alternater tested all is perfect. I went to drive it today turned the key and nothing, no starter trying to roll over, just acted as though the battery is ten years old and flat out dead. Yet all the gauges pop up and work no dim lights on console, bell rings to tell me I have key in the ignition. Then after a few attempts it fires up like it did when I rolled her off the lot. This has been going on for 6 months now, and it will start fine for weeks until it decides to do this all over again. I do power wash off my engine every time I go out wheeling, I keep my rig very clean and have kept up on all the service miles. So with that discourse, any guesses? am I getting something electronically wet when power washing? or a fuse problem. Thanks

Nuetral saftey switch? Or maybe not quite all the way in Park if it's an auto.?
Mike B.

SOunds like a starter solenoid. Turn on your headlights and then try to crank it, if they dim, it is in the battery/Charging. If they do not dim it is the starter.
Dustin

CPS :D I had similar symptoms and they always kept going away.... finally replaced the CPS.. but before putting a new one in, I tried starting without it being plugged in, and it sounded the same exact way :D So for a test, take your CPS, unplug it and try starting. THen plug it in... try starting... unplug it again... see what the difference is and think about what it feels/acts like when you can't start.

Kejtar

no start

Could possibly be the ignition switch,the one mounted on the steering column,behind the dash.

My first test when I turn the key and no start, is sharp wrap with BFH on the back of the starter. Brushes get old, lots of dust in there (maybe mud) things hang and don´t make good contact.

These are very good leads, and yes it is an automatic. But where would you guys suggest first in trouble shooting this thing. Strange thing is when I tried to jump start it last night thinking maybe with the cold weather it was the battery? and nothing happened, I got mad and pushed it back into the garage then slamed the shift lever back into park, I tried once more and it fired up with no problem. I checked the amp meter on the dash and it was reading right in the middle turned on lights and they too were nice and bright, no dimming when I let off gas. So is it possible it can be the shifter? I have got to get this thing figured out before I hit the back country. Thanks

NSS mostlikly. Put it in reverse and see if the lights are on. If not then it is for sure the NSS.

Back