• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalling continued

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
so occasionally my '99 stalls when coming to a stop. this is a problem. this morning i was in the car wash and saw the 'check guages' light. the volts dropped to 9. engine revved and idled fine. shut down and restarted and all was well. then a repeat. someone please give me sone insight as to what is going on here. before i go to a stealership for a diagnosis i would like some information to use as ammo. TIA again.
bgcntry72

Engine type, happens only when wet(in the car wash?), Volt meter drops?, check engine light on?, what do you mean a repeat, you went trough the carwash twice?, etc. If it is stalling at stop lights and signs it sounds like a A.I.S. motor. If it only happens when wet it sounds like a shorting problem or open in the alternator. You may have two completely seperate problems, the A.I.S. motor and a bad alternator. More info. is needed in order to even try and make a diagnosis.

continued

the engine is a 4.0 with an aw-4 and 231. the carwash thing has been a constant for a half of a year. when inside the carwash, with underbody jets only, the volts drop to 9 and i get a check guages light. if i rev it to 4000 and hold it the volts come back up, which leads me to think belt, but the tension is fine. if i stop and restart the engine, the volts usually climb right back up, and the steering comes back. the stalling thing was recent and has not happened in a week or so. last week 3 times. i come to a stop and the motor just dies, no chugging, just dead, with all electronics working fine. :mad:

Back