• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear diff question

awt28

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find out if I have a limited slp rear end. I have looked in the glove box for a tag, looked on the rear end and I can't find anything. I have 93 country with an 8.25 rear end. When I'm on loose ground and I punch it, both tires spin. What exactly does this mean. I though that limited slips meant that only one tire spun on loose soil, but from what I've been reading I'm not so sure now.

I hope that someone can help me out.

Thanks
Tony

Cant tell ya the difference sorry but the trac lock is factory I believe it is a form of limited slip not sure though (that is why I welded mine that way I know it is working unless I here a loud snap) anyway a locker will make bothe tires spin at the same speed. Jack up the rear end where both tires are off the ground and spin one of the tires if they spin in opposite directions your open if they spin the same direction then you have the trac lock. not sure how lockers play into this scenerio.
DIG IT

Trac-Lok is the trade name Chrysler uses for their brand of limited slip. It uses preloaded clutch packs like most other OEM limited slips out there.

Jack up the rear of the vehicle while leaving it in park with the p-brake OFF. Neither should spin by hand. If has an open diff that one will spin and the other tire will spin the opposite direction (or the LS is really worn out).

awt28 said:
Thanks,

Ok, so now when I change the gear oil, do I need to add that friction modifier for the limited slip??????

By this staement I gather you did the test and have both wheels going in the same direction... if that's the case... then YES. Lack of the friction modifier will wear out your limited slip :D FOr the friction modifier you can get the little bottle from the dealership for $10 or order one from quadratec (btw it's the whole bottle that goes in)

Kejtar

ok.... if the shifter is in PARK.... the wheels WILL NOT TURN!!!!! thats the whole function of the PARK feature... regardless of any traction aid or lack of... jack it up as mentioned.. shifter in NEUTRAL... spin one wheel.. watch the opposite wheel.. if they turn the same direction you have a limited-slip (track-loc) if they spin opposite eachother you have a reagular open differentioal, unless the track-loc is totally worn out.... as for the differences between "lockers" and "limited slip" generally a l/s or "posi" is a clutch type setup in the differential that locks together when 1 wheel spins to puit power to the wheel with traction.. hence the "2 wheels" spin in the dirt idea... a "locker " is more of a mechanical means of gearing the two axles together to keep them always turning equally, these have a "ratcheting" type of action to allow for different tire speeds for cornering though.... i hope this clears it up a little for you... if you do have a L/S you should by all means run a modifier in the lube.....
mike

Thanks for all the info.

No, I haven't done the test yet. I live on an Air Force Base and they kind of frown on the idea of people working on their vehicles by the curb. I'm waiting until this weekend when I can put it in the carport and put it on jack stands.

I really don't think it's a locker as I don't hear any ratcheting when I turn corners.

I really appreciate all the help. I've learned alot since I found this site. Now all I have to do is get the money around to act on the info I've found.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

No. If the D/S is locked in park and both wheels are off the ground they will spin, but in opposite directions with an open diff. This 'opposite' thing is what stops the vehicle from moving when both wheels are on the ground and is in park. I've done this a million times with vehicles in the air. When in park neither will spin when off the ground with an L/S diff.

My '88 has a Gov-lock and yes you need friction modifier for it to work properly. When I spin the wheels the second one turns just after the first one and then they both are "pulling". Not as good as a locker but more liveable and came from the factory with it.

One more thing, you can only get the full size spare with the lsd. They don't let you have the donut spare (the lsd needs equal tire size or else it would always engage).

But, if yours came with a tow package, then you'll likely have a full size spare anyway.

later,
r

Also take a look at the end of the axle shafts. The 8.25's are known to have a band wrapped around one axle shaft next to the brake drum. Some people say to look at the left axle shaft but on my XJ its on the right axle shaft. The tag should specify the gear ratio as well as whether the differential is open or not. But its still advisable to lift the rear end off the ground to double check, even if the tag is on your axle.

Bytheway, I did a little snow driving today, man what a good feeling to drive up high grade roads and pass our little front or rear only drive friends as they just spun their wheels on the way to work...Oh the joys of Jeep ownership.

Let me have your vin#

With the vin# I can tell you if your vehicle was sold with a trac lock. That would be the only factory option for you axle.

Rabbit

Back