• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranky 4.0L HO

Rocky

NAXJA Forum User
I run a 93 Sport with a 4.0L HO, AW4, and it has always cranked over for what I thought was too long before fireing up. The engine is a low mile unit in tip top running condition, the battery voltage is good. I have replaced the wiring from the battery to the starter and alternator with 2 gauge without much difference at all. The starter's amp draw isn't out of line, although that is the only thing I can see, unless there is some problem in the ignition circuit. Any one have any ideas on where I should look next? Any help would be great, thanks.

How long is too long? 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 10 seconds? The reason I ask is that I've read on here the ecu needs the engine to hit 300rpm before it will fire and based on my experience I believe it. Also, you may have a vacume leak somewhere or a gas leak. Try this, turn the key just short of starting, so everything clicks on for a few seconds, this will start your fuel pump and pressurize the system. Then once you've done that, crank it that last bit of a key turn, see if it takes any less time. My 94 likes to be started that way, a lot better than just cranking it over.
-Tom

Thanks fot the advice Tom, but I have tried that and no difference. The fuel pressure is steady at the fuel rail and does not leak down.

So how long is long? Is it the same amount of time independent of when you start it (ie, if warm, or just the first time of the day)? Ever run any fuel injector cleaner through it? How many miles?
-Tom

60,000 miles on the odometer, injector cleaner often enough to make em sparkle. It turns over about four to five times every time, regardless of cold/hot. When I first bought it I thought this must be the way all 4.0L started, then a kid up the street bought a 92 in rough shape and it starts like right now. I don't see any real problem with it starting the way it does, maybe a little accelerated wear on the starter, but I hate the looks my lifted XJ gets in the parking lot when it cranks like mad and sounds like it won't start. Even my 8 yr old asks why it cranks so long. AHHH!

So like 4 or 5 seconds to turn it over? Have you had your actual battery checked? Mine was a bit slow with my old battery, and sped up drastically with the Optima.
-Tom

Back