• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy hubs for 88XJ

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search, but I couldn't find a definite answer. While changing the stub shaft (which Car Quest couldn't ever get the right one, I even got an IFS axle, and they tried to b.s. me into believeing that they actually made and IFS cherokee for a year or two) I found that I need to replace the hub on my passenger side, and I am figuring my drivers too, though I have not looked at it. Does anyone know where the most inexpensive place to purchase these are? It doesn't have to last more than 4-6 months, cuz I am selling the Cherokee for a new Jeep by then. Thanks! Christian

Autozone always seems to have a good price on the hubs. Note that parts places sometimes confuse the baby cherokee xj with the large cherokee (the old fullsize jeep) built until around 92 resulting in the parts mix ups you experienced. The fullsize jeep was in fact offered with an independent swing front axle for a couple of years early on. Greg

90-97 will not fit an '88. If you don't have any luck buying used (personally, I wouldn't ever buy a used hub), Quadratec has as good a price as anyone.

Thanks guys, I had a guy at one of the shops around here that I know check on a price at Car Quest and they told him 108, 120 usual price. Guess I will go with that. I might see what I can get with my 4 wheeling club discount, but I am sure it will be less to about the same.

Eagle said:
90-97 will not fit an '88. If you don't have any luck buying used (personally, I wouldn't ever buy a used hub), Quadratec has as good a price as anyone.

How's Quadratec's quality on those hubs?

I bought 2 from Napa, had to get 1988 ones for my 1987.

$135 each or something, autozone had to order, Murray's was cheaper, but needed a week to get 'em and usually I like napa over autozone parts.

There were some other parts I've had to order 1988 for not 87 cause something with the axle was different.

The ujoints for 87 were different, 88s worked. Every other time I have them look up parts anywhere for an 87 cherokee they look up SJ parts.
At least there's no room for error with Comanche's, as of yet anyhow...

IIRC cherokee wasn't around in full size in 87, only grand wagoneers...

The hubs can be rebuilt, but the parts alone were almost the price of a new hub assembly. Add machine shop press costs and it was almost the same amount of $$.

First autozone gave me a bunch of wheel bearing parts for my 87...SJ parts not XJ.
XJ has hub assembly and no wheel bearings IIRC. Least that's what I was later told, this stuff is sort of new to me.

Teron

Back