• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another AW4 question...

XJ4PINOY

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, wondering if I can get some thoughts on my problem. While in reverse i've got some major slipping. If I go slow and reverse it does o.k., but when I give it gas it feels like the tranny is slipping big time. Forward gears are good and have smooth shifting. Question is......I have never had a vehicle to where reverse goes out first. I've always had forward gears go out. Is this common? Is it the tranny or something else it may be?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Eric

This isn't very helpful or XJ-specific, but in answer to your first question, yes it is not that uncommon to have reverse go first. It's more common on vehicles that see heavy use and abuse, such as snowplows, which are often reversed abruptly without completely stopping. I don't know how well designed the AW4 is for that, but on some trannies it is pretty easy to cook the reverse clutches, or even (what happened to my Chevy truck) to strip the splines off the reverse cluster.

hey,

I have had the same exact problem with my '91 AW4 for about a year and a half now. I have asked on this board for help with it but i have yet to get a real answer as to what the problem is. From what i have been told it can't be the reverse clutches going bad as long as all forward gears work find because on the AW4 1st gear and reverse share the same clutches. I've never pulled the pan on it to check out the problem but people have suggested doing a full flush, broken band, clogged valve body so its not building enough pressure in reverse or a bad pump. I dunno, maybe someone else can help us out.

eric

From the 92 FSM:

Condition - No reverse (D ranges ok)
Possible Causes-
1. Gearshift linkage is either ut of adjustment or damagaed
2. Rear band is out of adjustment
3. Valve body malfunction (stuck/dmaged manual valve, regulator valve or check ball)
4. Rear servo or front clutch malfunction

Hears another thing I found out. It seems like it's only doing when in 2 wheel drive. I can stick it in 4L and back up with no problems.:confused: :confused:
Eric, have you found the same??

Are you sure it is slipping

Are you sure it is slipping? My jeep is acting like this, but it is jerking and the power is dropping. I have had a bad motor mount suggested. Not sure, but I am starting there. The engine rtates a different direction in forward than in reverse. Let me know if you figure it out.

Are you trying to tell people that your engine runs in reverse when you are in reverse gear??
The engine rtates a different direction in forward than in reverse.
I sure hope not cause you are sadly misinformed!:eek:

2. Rear band is out of adjustment
3. Valve body malfunction (stuck/dmaged manual valve, regulator valve or check ball)
4. Rear servo or front clutch malfunction
I would have to agree with these, the only other thing I could think of is if you have a problem in the Transfer case, I can't think of how this could be, but you never know

No, I was not saying the engine runs in reverse, but the torque is applied differently. The motor mount was just a suggestion I was given. Put your brake on and apply a little throttle in Drive and in Reverse. You will notice the torque is applied in opposite directions. Try it, the Jeep will rock to the right in drive but to the left in reverse. It was just suggested that possibly with my bad passenger motor mount that something is being pulled or having a problem applying the torque.

LOL, I got you now, you meant how the engine rocks under load, reverse vs forward:dunce: I didn't think someone would really think the engine rotated the other way in reverse, but some people just really don't have a clue sometimes!

If your forward gears are working properly, I would be most apt to say that its a problem within the valve body, I am not to familiar with the flow of power through the AW4, but maybe BEEZIL will pipe in on this one, from what I have read, he has a pretty good understanding of the AW4

Back