• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two ??s clearcoat & blinker probs 88 XJ

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
#1 The other night I turned on my headlights and the l/s turn signnal arrow lit up/stayed on. It flashes when the blinker was activated. This is the 2nd time it's done this (and the signal lamp itself stays off while the arrow is lit, and flashes normally when selected) FWIW last night the fault didn't appear, so it's one of those intermittent bugs. I HATE dashlights, particularly the bright green non-dimmable kind.

#2 both my 88 and 90 have the classic XJ clearcoat failure. If I were to repaint...how far down dowes one need to wetsand? Can it be sealed with some newfangled primer/sealer or does it all gotta come off? My autobody tech skills & materials brain base are only 17 years out of date, and there are all-new materials used in the trade these days.

Thanks in advance

#1 most likely a ground failing and grounding thru the bulb.

Woody, is your clear coat flaking/peeling off or has it got crows feet/spider webbing? If flaking/peeling you should be able to sand to the color coat, fan the edges and spray a new clear layer or two. Or you can be as unlucky as I have with both of my XJ's and have the nice deep spiderwebbing/crows feet that goes through the color coat as well. If this is the case you will need to grind it down to bare metal as the problem lies in the contact between the metal and the primer. Hope this helps

Ditto both the above posts. There was a thread or two on the blinker problem within the past week.

Usually the paint problem is just burned clearcoat, which can be sanded just far enough to remove the deteriorated top coat and then repainted.

For those blinkers, while you're checking grounds and such, make sure you check the harness connector that lives down by the bulkhead on the left (more or less under the air cleaner). You'll often find corrosion on the contacts there.

IF THE CLEAR COAT IS PEELING YOU WILL NEED TO SAND OFF ALL THE CLEAR COAT NOT JUST FEATHER THE EDGE. IT WILL JUST PEEL AGAIN SOONER OR LATER. IF ITS TINY CRACKS (WEBBING) IT ALL NEEDS TO COME OF WITH PAINT STRIPPER (MUCH FASTER)NOT GRINDING. IF YOU DO GET IT PAINTED TAKE OFF ALL THE PARTS DONT JUST MASK THEM OFF LIKE "EARL". IT WILL PEEL.

GOOD LUCK. :D

Back