• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Question

sciotojeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning to replace my stock tires with a new set. I have been looking at the Goodyear MTR's, and the Bridgestone Revo's. I have heard alot of good reports on the Revo's, but like the aggressive tread on the MTR's as well. I am concerned though that the MTR's will be a little too slick on icey roads. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with either of these? Also, what is the difference between a 225 and a 235? Is it width or height? Thanks

i have the MT/Rs and have been very happy with them in the rain, but I do not drive in snowy/icy conditions, so I can't make a recommendation there...

225, 235, etc., is the width of the tread, in millimeters. Say you have a tire that is 235 75R15- the thread width is 235 millimeters, the 75 is the height of the sidewall (basically the edge of the rim to the edge of the tire) expressed as a percentage. i.e.: 235 x 75%= ~176 millimeters sidewall height. The 15 (or 14 or 16 or 17, whatever the case may be) is the diameter of the rim, in inches.

i think you'll be happy with the MT/R's... excellent in the rain , but i havent run in snow yet, i have heard they are excellent though.. the 235's will fit with NO problems at all.. even 30's will fit fine as well but may rub on your lower control arms at full lock... and tired springs will contribute to a lil non-destructive rubbing.. each MFG is different with their exact dimentions on the same size tire but a 235 will be about 28.6" tall and the 225 will be about 27.5", in comparison the 30x9.50x15 MT/R is actually closer to 29.5"... i have about 7000 to 8000 miles on my MT/R's and they have worn about 1/4"... my estimate is they are really no more than a 35000 to 40000 mile tire.... unless the deeper tread compound is a little harder..
mike

I´ve been through about four sets of MT´R´s on my pick-up. In a nutshell, they don´t really work well in the mud, at least the mud we have around here. Just seem to keep adding layers and don´t shed very well. Work well in the rain and snow, when they are new (less than three years or so), but the compund seems to get harder with age and/or highway heat. They wear well, don´t heat crack. The AT´s do better in icy conditions, especially when the MT´s are older. MT´s seem to do well at high speeds, part of the inspection here is matching the speed rateing of the tire, with the speedometer (speed rateing of the car). Goodyear MT´s are a manufacturer option. Satifies my inspection.
Heard there has been an upgrade to the MT´s, they may be better now. The AT´s are a better all around tire and actually do better in most winter conditions, especially ice. A whole bunch of small treads, seem to work better than fewer bigger ones, in ice and most packed snow.
The 235X75 R 15 AT´s do well on the XJ, sidewall flex can be felt though. The 225X70 R 16 (16" rims) work much better (less sidewall flex). And are close to the same diameter.

I recommend Cooper Discoverer ATs
235/75R15 set of 4 can be had for $300 or less out the door.

I've run GS-As, MT/Rs, BFG ATs, Duelers, various other cheapie ats(that came on vehicles I've bought).

IMO the cooper AT, for an all around daily driver, occasional off-roader, and snow/rain tire is the best for the $$$.

I liked the MT/Rs, noisy, ok in the rain, not bad off-road in sand/mud/dirt, but in my experience the Cooper ATs cleaned better in clayish mud/wet sand compared to the other tires, I followed a friend in a TJ w/ MT/Rs me with coopers, went everywhere he did, and I also made it through a NASTY large mud pit where my friend slid further into it and lost traction, almost got stuck(not a good place to get stuck).

Teron

The Cooper Discoverer A/T also has a 50,000 mile warranty.

Hearing good things about the cooper discoverer's kind of worries me. They came on my jeep when I bought it and I don't like them very much. It's only 2wd so i don't go offroad, but every time it rains I have to be really careful with the throttle or I will spin out. I have to make turns really slow or I will fishtail, which I've done more times than i can count. Of course I run at 30-32 psi most of the time for gas milage which probably has a large effect. I'm gonna go for dueler's next, I hope their a little more sticky.

Back