• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Shocks

MinotJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on replacing the shocks tommorrow and have been looking over past threads for advice. This isn't for a lift kit or anything, I'm just replacing the shocks with plain old OEM shocks. I've already been soaking the bolts in WD-40 (just bought some PB Blaster tonight and will be using that from now on) and am pretty clear on installing the new shocks. Would it be a good idea to reuse the old bolts if I could get them off without too much trouble (and in one piece), or should I just go ahead and see if I can get some new bolts that wouldn't be fatigued or weakened by rust? Thanks for any advice.
-Matt

Shock bolts are probably the metric equivalent of SAE Grade 8 (hardened), which may be hard to find. Use the OEM bolts if they come out clean -- just use anti-sieze when reassembling.

If the threads are rusted away, then it's time to look for new bolts.

Be carefull not to snap off the upper rear shock bolts, they do this all the time!!!

you should be fine when I replaced mine they came out easily and had hardly any rust at all. And that is off a 1990 that never had the shocks replaced before that.

Back