• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Brake Light

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
In my 87 comanche, the brake light on the dash is faintly on. Brakes are working fine. I understand that it comes on when there is a pressure differential between front and rear. Only thing is brakes work fine and the light is on only faintly. I bled the brakes, still the same thing. Anyone had a problem with the sensor/switch being bad. Or do I need to keep looking? Could it have anything to do with the height-sensing thing? Anybody removed the height-sensing stuff.
TIA,
Dustin

Make sure your parking brake is completely released. The parking brake and the master cylinder switch use the same idiot light - I mean status light :)

If the light is coming on then you have a bad master cylinder. It has not filed yet but you are on the road to failure. I recommend you replace the master cylinder and flush the system with new brake fluid.

I have not had it happen on my XJ but had the same problem back in high school 20+ years ago. You say the brakes stop fine but do you notice the brake pedal going farther to the floor than before? Either way, replace the master cylinder and call it done.

Back