• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting up to run a spool.

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
sold the lock-right and i'm getting a spool.. is there anything different about seting it up as opposed to a basic carrier?? im going to have it done professionally but i'm massing all the parts ahead of time.. is it as simple as bolting it up in the same place? im also debating my choice of gears.. planning on running 32's (but possibly 33's) in my 87 limited.. thinking 4.56's.... its a 95% trail only rig but will be driven to and from all runs.. i think it's a bit of a steep gear but its livable.. there must be a step between 4.10's and 4.56's....
thanx
mike

go 4.88's

I have 33 TSLs on my XJ with 4.88's and it is almost not enough. I wish I had mid 5's I think that would be about perfect for a trail rig that you drive to the trail. I can turn 70mph at a easy 2200-2300 rpm. Dont let anyone talk you into going lower then 4.56, you'll regret it.

-Scott

a few of my buddies are running 4.10 and they say they are happy with it.. but those are also daily drivers.. think i'll stick with my first impresssion.... 4.56's and SPOOL IT!!
mike

Nothing magical to the spool. Have 'em put in new bearings if they are older units.

Get some spare shafts.

CRASH

sintax said:
go 4.88's

I have 33 TSLs on my XJ with 4.88's and it is almost not enough. I wish I had mid 5's I think that would be about perfect for a trail rig that you drive to the trail. I can turn 70mph at a easy 2200-2300 rpm. Dont let anyone talk you into going lower then 4.56, you'll regret it.

-Scott

I think your speedo or your math is a little off. I figure with 4.88's and 33's, at 70 mph you would be a little over 2500 rpm with an auto and about 2500 rpm with a stick.

I've run both 32's and 33's with 4.56 gears, and I liked it best with the 32's. With the 33's I wished that I had 4.88's. When I went to 35's I changed to 5.13's, which I think is perfect, but I wouldn't want to be any lower. That's my experience.......

Same boat here, have 4.88s and wish I had the 5.13s. Or maybe a stroker instead???? I could go either way.

Spools work well, gear set up is the same. Make sure you are starting with a sturdy axle.

Dan

i guess i neglected an important peice of info.... D44 rear axle.. i'm actually getting the axles done before the lift so running around on those gears with 235's for a few months...:D
mike

Goatman said:
I think your speedo or your math is a little off. I figure with 4.88's and 33's, at 70 mph you would be a little over 2500 rpm with an auto and about 2500 rpm with a stick.

I've run both 32's and 33's with 4.56 gears, and I liked it best with the 32's. With the 33's I wished that I had 4.88's. When I went to 35's I changed to 5.13's, which I think is perfect, but I wouldn't want to be any lower. That's my experience.......

I think it may be a little off, I have yet to bring my GPS w/ me any time i have gotten on the freeway. I always seem to forget it. I am just judging by the flow of traffic.

-Scott

Back